Objectivism Online Forum

OO.net members are nit-picky

Rate this topic

This is the most persnickety group of people I ever met.

"Your text s too Green."

"Your text is too Small to see"

"Your text is too Light"

"Your text is too Bold."

"Your avatar is too Gory"

"I cant Read your avatar"

"Change your Avatar"

"Change your Name its too Hungarian!"

Now its to bold for the moderators and they change it!

How about I just submit my posts as a private message and a moderator posts them to what ever the hell the boards standards are as I cant figure the out.

:D "persnickety" :D

That's what you get for trying to be different. Go be an individualist on your own time. :)

I'm kidding. Apparently you've just suffered OO's version of "hazing".

The most effective response at this point would probably be "Don't like it? Well, too bad!"

No one's going to Warn you because your posts are hard to read.

We would, but you'd probably enjoy it.

Now that I read my last post I realize that I will be argued with for wanting the Jell-O green instead of red.

Maybe someone would like to let me know what temperature and consistency they want? And do you prefer floggers or the traditional paddle?

Well...I found it mildly ironic that true capitalists (hopefully the overwhelming majority registered here) would complain about the characteristics of your letters, fonts, symbols, etc.--t'would have been better of them to simply boycott the style by not responding to your posts and allow 'the readability and market of thread readings' (for lack of better terms) to run its course...although maybe the people of this forum were just nice enough to let you know that they would not read your posts if you did not switch your format--rather than just letting you figure it out the hard way :)

Honestly if it were merely one person asking me to change something I would have probably did it or ignored them but I wouldn't have complained about it.

I am yowling about the 20 different and contradictory requests to change my font. Just when I get it black enough and big enough and bold enough a moderator tells me I HAVE to change it to something the moderator said is more readable and then the moderator proceeded to modify my posts to the way the moderator saw fit.

Surly you can see how this might tend to tick someone off?

I want my posts to be readable as my point in posting them is for them to communicate some idea. Otherwise I would just keep a frigin journal.

Edited by RosszValaki

I understand that you're irritated. However, from what I could tell there were only one or two publicly posted complaints; I know I at least notified you privately.

It's not always easy for the mods to communicate in a timely fashion about issues, so there may be some contradictions from time to time, as well as people simply "fixing" an issue. If you think someone went overboard, contact GreedyCapitalist via PM about it. He's the Boss Man on the forum and he has the final say about what moderators are allowed to do.

Whichever mod altered your posts should have left a note telling you who it was: you can send that info to David (aka GreedyCapitalist) to help him in mediation of the situation. Just remember that it may take some time for the info to be communicated between the various mods.

Messing about with your text is not, I hope, going to cause you discomfort to the point where a time delay will interfere with the resolution of the situation.

Don't feel like you've been singled out; there's a significant tendency on this forum to correct other peoples' spelling, punctuation, grammar, esthetic choices, etc. I think you know by now that you can't please everyone regardless of what you do.

I was thinking about doing this post in a Symbol font just to be annoying, but that's not an option, so I gave Geneva a try.

There is some hazing here but it's not intentional from what I've seen; it's a result of the fact that people get REALLY ANNOYED with Trolls and they assume anyone that is not conformist/servile is a Troll. (I've been called one so many times I've lost count.) Once you get up around three hundred posts the accusations of Trollness tend to decrease dramatically; you're the norm-setter now instead of the norm-follower. :)

The communications class I took called this a stage of group formation, actually: it's called "storming". It's what happens when you get past the initial "nice" stage and people start testing the limits to see what is and isn't acceptable. Inevitably, they're going to exceed them in some way and thus there will be some conflicts. It is the method of conflict-resolution that emerges from this stage of group formation that largely dictates how effective your group will be at accomplishing future tasks.

Edited by JMeganSnow

Whichever mod altered your posts should have left a note telling you who it was.

..and the forum software leaves a note too. I think the reference is to this post here. (There's another similar one in the same thread.) The mod's notes and the software's automatic note are in both.

Personally, I don't care what font and color are used. I wouldn't use a specific color myself -- rather let the default ride. The reason: if I use Emerald Green and David decides to change the background to Emerald Green, my posts will suddenly be rendered "invisible"!!

As invisible as this word is (use your mouse to highlight).