Objectivism Online Forum

Romantic Gifts For Men

Rate this topic

JMeganSnow

Can't top Kevin's. But second to that, something that meets the following criteria always gets at my heart strings: 1. something that will improve the quality of my life 2. that I didn't think of on my own 3. that she thought of on her own.

Edited by TomL

Something showing that she pays attention. For example:

I am a baseball fan. She scores major points for taking me on a surprise trip which involves dinner followed by a baseball game. I don't know if America's pastime is what people generally think of when they hear "romantic," but it'd be time with her doing things I enjoy. That's all the romance I need.

I am also a music fan, but I don't dance worth anything. Take me to a small, smoky jazz club where we can sit and listen. Then when we get home, pop in a CD and dance.

I don't know how much these apply to your particular situation, but I think the big idea is that it I like things showing that you pay attention to what I like.

I like the other gentlemens' comments, too.

I would say something that is extremely personal; something that describes or portrays something of enormous (or, for that matter, any) significance between the woman and the man. It really depends on the particular situation. In general, however, perhaps something that adds to a man's hobbies (or collections), something that is symbolic of something, etc.

Being who I am, my presents to men generally consist of: books. Books are great gifts. AND if you can pick out books for a guy that he will actually like, that means you have a fair handle on his personality, no?

The reason I'm asking this question is that I told my ex that I'd sent books to a mutual friend of ours and his comment was "Wow, that's romantic" in sarcasm. So, I said, "What IS a romantic gift to get a guy?" And he came up blank.

Most of the men I know, if they want something, they buy it themselves. I remember, though, back when my parents were dating my mother bought my father cologne, and she made him a very nice sweater. (She knits, I don't have the manual dexterity.)

I'm thinking a good principle for this would be: get him something he likes that you also like, but that is just a little bit more (insert adjective of choice: "Elegant" "Expensive" "Classy") than he would normally go out and get himself.

How's that?

Well, let's back up just a bit. What is the purpose of gift giving? Who is supposed to benefit from it?

When its obvious that I appreciate her effort, my wife gets quite an emotional payback for buying the right gift. Whenever I buy her gifts, I buy her something I want her to have. I will not buy her something simply because she wants it -- if it means nothing to me, I'll get her something else.

I'll never forget the squeal when I gave her a DeLonghi mixer. Now she gets to make cheesecake and aebleskiver, and I get to eat it :dough:

Jewelry is always a selfish gift for me as well. I get to look at it -- on her, and take pride in the fact that I can control nature enough to make her sparkle. :)

Now a romantic gift should be one that invokes romantic thoughts in the receiver. To do that for a man, you have to know what thoughts that man finds romantic, and then find the gifts to make him think of them.

Edited by TomL

Gents, if a lady is going to get you a romantic present, what would you want?

Something that is forward looking, something that says "I love you, and because of who you are, I know I will continue to".

To get more specific than that would be to rob her, and me, of a whole heck of a lot of fun!

Mark Peters

This is something my fiance and I constantly wrestle over. I just gave her a bottle of Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter for her birthday tonight. She was in tears. It is beer but she doesn't drink. Ok, so normally giving your girlfriend a bottle of beer isn't romantic but it is a rare limited edition bottle signed by the artist Ralph Steadman (whom she really likes) and the beer was brewed in honor of Hunter S Thompson's death (ditto).

She was expecting roses or chocolate etc. The normal sort of romantic thing. But it had a connection to two things she really loved and I had to search far and wide with a beer distributor to find a bottle. It was far from cheap and I consider it an investment like some of the bottles of wine we have. But she loves the notion and the connection to two people she loves. Just like if she were to give me something signed by Archie Ogden. Actually, I'd be floored to have something like that. I own a book inscribed to Archie Ogden by an author whom he edited for but nothing actually signed by him.

She asks me what I'd like for my birthday and I always tell her to not spend more than $25.00 (since she's going to law school and I hate seeing her spend money) and to surprise me. You know, I'd be floored if she'd cook dinner for me even if it were crappy tv dinners that were burnt since I do all the cooking. Actually, I love cooking but it would be nice for a change. She has no confidence in her cooking mainly since she really has never cooked and I am slowly teaching her how but it's slow going. But still it would be a nice gesture for me not to have to do it.

Actually, the ultimate would be having someone paid to do the lawn on Saturday while I'm served breakfast in bed being able to watch rugby with Danyel at my side. Something which NEVER happens.

I'm thinking a good principle for this would be: get him something he likes that you also like, but that is just a little bit more (insert adjective of choice: "Elegant" "Expensive" "Classy") than he would normally go out and get himself.

How's that?

Generally (i.e. for any gift), one principle I've heard that has merit, and which I've used, is: buy something for somebody that they'd really enjoy but would, for whatever reason, be unlikely (or unable) to acquire for themselves.

Additionally, for a romantic present, I think the best is something that shows that the giver went to some special effort on the gift - that it was not a one second shopping expedition to Wal-Mart but has, e.g., the receiver's name inscribed. Also, something that is uniquely the product of the giver, unique created for the receiver - that's "special effort" gone one step further.

The present does not necessarily have to be expensive. One could easily spend much more on a less satisfying present than one that fits the above criteria.

Some thoughts. :P

Phil

• 1 month later...
Gents, if a lady is going to get you a romantic present, what would you want?

Romantic gifts are not suitable for men. I think you should give yourself a sexy gift, possibly a negligee, and wear it on the special day. And, maybe serve him a candle lit dinner. That should put him in the romantic mood you're seeking.

My thought on this is that you should give a man a gift which lets him know what it is about him that you value. Hopefully that is also something that he values himself. If you like the fact that your man is athletic, then get him some weights and then demand to watch him work out. If he is a musician, get him an instrument that you can watch him play. A book that you want to read as well and discuss with him is good too.

I like to get gifts which tell me my wife likes the things that are valuable to me and likes that they are valuable to me.

Romantic gifts are not suitable for men. I think you should give yourself a sexy gift, possibly a negligee, and wear it on the special day. And, maybe serve him a candle lit dinner. That should put him in the romantic mood you're seeking.

JDX: And why is that not a romantic gift for men?

Any gift that says "I love you" is a romantic gift.

Mark Peters

Do something related to one of his hobbies, that you aren't normally interested in. He loves camping but you never go? Surprise him with a camping trip. Clearly, its important that you have fun while doing it.

I think guys tend to place less emphasis on roses, or candy, and instead get more enjoyment out of seeing their girlfriend doing something she usually wouldn't just to make him happy.

Why or why not?

Romantic gifts from my point of view are feminine. Roses, perfume, jewelry are things that a women would hold near and dear to her heart. The way to a man's heart is through cleavage and a steak dinner. Appealing to a man sexually and gourmetically (if that's a word) will turn him on and show you care.

Practical gifts may show you care but are not romantic. Giving a man a book appeals to his intellect or special interest, but the thought of romance may not even enter his mind.

A candle lit dinner with a lady in a sexy dress are romantic and puts the woman in control of the situation. The logical end to the evening is romance. And that evening will occupy a special place in his memory.

The way to a man's heart is through cleavage and a steak dinner.

Ugh. The steak part I don't mind, I like to cook, but in thinking about it I've always found something repugnant in a man that would want me to dress up like a sex bunny in order to "seduce" him. It was something I was thinking about today, actually.

I think my personal dislike stems from the fact that I would consider doing such to be putting on an act. That's not who I am. That's not how I behave. If you want some brainless bimbo that's about to fall out of her dress, I see them walking down the street every day. Help yourself.

When I think of attractive clothing I think of something that shows off less skin, not more.

I think we should define what we mean by 'romantic'.

Does it have to be sexual?

Personally I think that anything that shows that you truly care about the other person and the relationship is to be considered a romantic gift. The sexual stuff is just one possibility, but it doesn't have to be the best.

This holds for both sexes.

Still, flowers and candy are considered romantic gifts, but I think this is just convention. (So men can buy something when they don't know what to do.) It's better to come up with something of your own. Standard gifts may be interpreted as lack of caring. (My mom once cried when my dad gave her flowers as a birthday gift.)

Edited by Felix

Ugh. The steak part I don't mind, I like to cook, but in thinking about it I've always found something repugnant in a man that would want me to dress up like a sex bunny in order to "seduce" him. It was something I was thinking about today, actually.

Maybe you don't see yourself as sexy. Romance involves being sexy. If you're not willing to become attractive to the opposite sex you should not expect romance. And, arranging the atmosphere and the meal would be *your* idea, not his. He probably wouldn't ask or expect a sexy tryst, but would likely find it very appealing.

I think my personal dislike stems from the fact that I would consider doing such to be putting on an act. That's not who I am. That's not how I behave. If you want some brainless bimbo that's about to fall out of her dress, I see them walking down the street every day. Help yourself.

Looking like a "brainless bimbo" on the street and dressing sexy at home are two different things.

As a classy lady you can have more than one side to your personality. There's a time to "let your hair down" and a time to be strait laced and businesslike. There's nothing wrong with either way when they occur at the right time and place.

You are assuming that all men share the same standards for what is "sexy". I personally prefer men that like their women serious, intellectual, and "straight-laced".

What's so great about "letting your hair down?" Personally, I find formal courtesy very attractive indeed. I let my hair down when I'm cleaning the grout in the bathtub, not when I want to pay special attention to my partner.

Romantic is in the "I's" ... and the "eyes". It doesn't matter what you're doing; what matters is the attention you're paying to your SO. Clothed, naked, running errands, cooking, cleaning, fooling around, reading, listening, playing, working out ... all and more can be romantic if eyes meet in the right way.

A spot of paint on the nose is romantic as hell ... in the right circumstances.

Mark Peters