Objectivism Online Forum

Dr. Yaron Brook On CNBC: 3 Pm Today (Oct 27th)

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

ARI executive director Dr. Yaron Brook is scheduled to appear on the CNBC program "Closing Bell" today, October 27, 2005.

The program airs at 3:00 PM Eastern time, 12:00 noon Pacific.

The topic will be: Do the oil companies have a moral right to their massive profits?

ARI executive director Dr. Yaron Brook is scheduled to appear on the CNBC program "Closing Bell" today, October 27, 2005.

The program airs at 3:00 PM Eastern time, 12:00 noon Pacific.

The topic will be: Do the oil companies have a moral right to their massive profits?

I just got that email, too. It is quite useless to know these things with only one hour of advance warning. If I had known yesterday I could have Tivo'd it. Is there some place where this information is posted in a useful time-frame?

:) We need a Tivo system that is part of the regular "always on" home network -- Cable or DSL, with programming-access via an IP, like any computer. Then, we could control it from wherever we had web-access.

There are many sites out there explaining how you can hack your TiVo box (after all it is just a linux box). Several hacks have to do with networking and remote web access.

Here's that discusses how tocreate a static IP address for your TiVo.

:P We need a Tivo system that is part of the regular "always on" home network -- Cable or DSL, with programming-access via an IP, like any computer. Then, we could control it from wherever we had web-access.

It's not the same thing as directly controlling it, but you *can* get set up on the TiVo site to remotely schedule recordings. The problem is that the update frequency is too low (as I understand it, I've never felt the need to use this feature) to reliably capture something scheduled the same day, since the TiVo calls home for updates only daily - i.e., it pulls, it isn't pushed out.

Now if you had the TiVo call home every 10 minutes or half-hour, then it would be probably be good enough. I doubt that their infrastructure is designed to handle that kind of traffic though. More the point I don't know of any way to tell the box to do it (short of looking for a hack - there is a book titled "TiVo Hacks".)

It is quite useless to know these things with only one hour of advance warning. If I had known yesterday I could have Tivo'd it. Is there some place where this information is posted in a useful time-frame?

I've received a handful of these "same-day" notices and had the same response. I wrote the ARI explaining the issue and asked if anything could be done. This is the response I received:

Hi Rob,

I understand your frustration. However, most TV shows book our people at the last moment. If we've got an hour or two before air time, we still like to send out a notice so that at least some of our donor's get a chance to see an appearance.

Hopefully, in the future you'll get lucky and be able to catch an appearance.

Thanks for the feedback!

:D

For those who are interested in such things -- I built my own networked home media system based on SageTV, which has a web interface from which you can remotely control the system. Very cool setup, but be warned that you need to be an "enthusiast" to build such a system. It's far superior to TiVo, but it requires your time, effort & money to make it so.

http://www.sage.tv/