Objectivism Online Forum

Yahoo Chess

Rate this topic

Does anyone here play Yahoo chess? I play pretty frequently. At the moment I have a 1255 rating...almost had a 1300, then I had a 5 game losing streak. If anyone wants to play, my name is aggie51482.

I used to play over there a lot, used to be in mid 1400 at that time. I haven't played in a year, but I'm sure I'm still pretty competent. Let me know when you're on, and we'll play a few.

I mostly just get on whenever I feel like taking a break from working on my thesis. With a rating that high, I'm sure you'll beat me...I'm actually not bad, but I make blunders that there's no excuse to make. I usually wind up unnecessarily sacrificing my queen or overlooking something and getting drawn into a quick checkmate.

I'll try to be in the Alligator Tunnel tonight at 9 EST, if you want to play.

Well Eternal, you may have kicked my butt a few times, but you also turned on a light bulb above my head. After playing you, I've only lost 3 out of my last 25 games. I also drew 4 where I was getting my butt kicked but, through careful strategy, managed to draw my opponent into a stalemate. I've also handled a couple of upper 1300's with a certain deal of ease.

So, I propose a rematch for whenever you want. We'll see if I really learned something or if I've just had a lucky string of really stupid opponents.

I'm glad you scored some victories. The only way to really learn chess is by losing (so you'll most likely end up learning a lot from me :D ). I found that playing somebody ranked 100-200 points higher is usually optimal, because you don't just get obliterated, and victory, though elusive, is always within a motivating grasp. I'll IM you through AOL, when I have some free time set aside.

I used to hang out and play a lot of the Yahoo games. I mostly played Chess and Towers. Look me up if you'd like a game of either, sometime. I am terrible at Chess, but it takes many moves to beat me. ;)

• 1 year later...