Objectivism Online Forum

Peikoff's The Ominous Parallels

Rate this topic

Elle

I just started this book today, and I was wondering who has read it and if anyone would be interested in keeping up an ongoing dialogue.

I have not read anything by Peikoff before but I was looking for some Objectivist lit other than Rand, for a bit of variation. Perhaps I should read more of Rand's non-fiction before diving into this book, but I'm into it maybe 30 pages and hooked.

The Ominous Parallels is an epic book! I think you made a terrific choice; keep reading! :)

I would enjoy discussing it because I still have a lot to learn about that period of history. It rates quite high on my "must research" list so count me as interested.

Succinctly, it is about the influence of philosophy on man. Ideas guide men and their actions and, consequently, ideas write history.

More specifically it is about the Nazi rise to power; it is about their philosophy and how it led to their actions. Dr. Peikoff makes the transition between historical concretes and broad abstractions seamless and clear. It is a brilliant achievement and I wish there were hundreds more books like it.

OP is an immortal work of both philosophy and history. Mostly it deals with the history of philosophy and the influence of ideas on the course of human history.

Peikoff examines the evolution of ideas from the early Pre-Socratics to Kant and the Romanticists - and shows how a philosophy of anti-reason necessarily leads to concrete horrors. As a concretization of this thesis he examines the Nazi regime and the philosophical/intellectual background from which it came.

Lastly, he identifies the same intellectual trends in America, and offers Objectivism as an antidote to them, and the only thing that can save America and the free world from a rising again of collectivist and mysticism.

This is one of the best nonfiction books I have ever read, and a must read for any Objectivist with the slightest interest in the workings of history. I have to salute Peikoff, not only for the ideas he expressed in this book, but also on the clarity and power of his style.