Objectivism Online Forum

The Only Two Things The Majority of Women Want.

Rate this topic

In my view, number 5 is by far the most common use of the term ''fun".
I doubt it. If you were to ask people what they meant by "fun", they'd say something like "makes me laugh", "makes me smile", "not serious", "enjoyable". I doubt many will come up with "whimsical" and "flamboyant" as their first choice.

More importantly, quite apart from common usage, do you think there is a legitimate concept of "fun"? Also, since this thread is about relationships, do you think a romantic relationship can be worthwhile if either person thinks the other is not fun to be with?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you said my use of the term "fun" was, "a stupid, nonsensical floating abstraction?" Now you seem to be defining fun for us. Why "put something out there" if it has no point and comes across as insulting? In general, people post to this website when they feel they have something of worth to contribute or questions to ask. If you're just "putting out there" insults and obvious definitions, I am confused as to your motive.

To play devil's advocate, he may not have meant insult at all, but instead could have been simply using your post as a springboard to discuss the sometimes maddening common usage of the term "fun." I've known plenty of people who use it as an empty floating abstraction and/or package deal. Usually in reference to getting stupid-drunk. ("Oh, we're going to go out and have fun. You don't want to get plastered? You're no fun.")

His wording - "I'm just putting this out there, I'm not attacking anyone." - supports this theory.

His wording - "I'm just putting this out there, I'm not attacking anyone." - supports this theory.

Tone is important. Sometimes it's not only what you say, but how you say it. If one does not intend to attack someone, perhaps they should not take an accusatory tone.

Usually in reference to getting stupid-drunk.

You need to spend more time around the type of people I hang out with. I bought a bottle of champagne a few years ago for New Year's Eve and *no one* would share it with me. I wasn't trying to get them drunk, but I like champagne and I thought they might enjoy a glass with dinner. Oh well.

All my friends are nerds and gamers, btw. Don't think I've met one that actually enjoyed going out and getting drunk. I've met one or two that are recovering alcoholics (hence they are teetotalers), but no current heavy drinkers. And, most of them are intelligent and good conversationalists.

You need to spend more time around the type of people I hang out with.

Oh, don't get me wrong - they're out there.

But those types aren't the perpetrators of the bromide version of "fun." I think it's a hedonist thing: in the same way that they say they are selfish, but can't be because self interest is not compatible with whim, so to do they say they are for "fun," but are actually incapable of it. It exists only as a floating abstraction for them, where they go through to motions of pretending to have fun. And berating those who aren't interested in their self-destruction.

You need to spend more time around the type of people I hang out with. I bought a bottle of champagne a few years ago for New Year's Eve and *no one* would share it with me. I wasn't trying to get them drunk, but I like champagne and I thought they might enjoy a glass with dinner. Oh well.

All my friends are nerds and gamers, btw. Don't think I've met one that actually enjoyed going out and getting drunk. I've met one or two that are recovering alcoholics (hence they are teetotalers), but no current heavy drinkers. And, most of them are intelligent and good conversationalists.

Oh wow, I forgot I made this thread!

But anyways, kind of off-topic, but I've noticed this attitude a lot with "nerds and gamers"... that kind of includes all my friends. Some of them get really snobby and bitchy when you even bring drinking up.

"Hey, man, we are going to grab a six pack, want one?"

"NO I DON'T GET DRUNK!!!"

"Geez dude, it's one beer..."

"Drunk people are stupid, I'm not stupid, I can't get drunk"

"One beer doesn't get you drunk"

"But but but once you have one you are going to need more to get drunk!"

"No one said anything about getting drunk, we're just having a beer or two..."

"No no no, i'd rather just sit here... just go away, I'd rather sit here..."

It usually goes down like that. Going back to the topic, this attitude isn't the majority one, nerds and gamers are usually social outcasts, observe their lack of attention from women.

Social acceptance.... social acceptance...

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Noop...... <_< He has to be the one who loves me unconditionally..physically attractive and socially accepted is a plus.... B)

Heather, you really want someone to love you unconditionally? That means under any circumstances, regardless of what you are?

Thanks no. I want someone to love me conditionally for my character, and if that character changes for the worse, they have everyright to stop loving me. Why would anyone want love that was love regardless of what we were...?

Noop...... <_< He has to be the one who loves me unconditionally...

He definately wouldn't be me then! :thumbsup: I only love conditionally a woman. When you want a man to love you unconditionally, you are wanting a man who completely divorces value from love, to completely negate love as such. Wouldn't you want to be loved for you, for who you are as a woman?