Objectivism Online Forum

The History of Philosophy by Peikoff

Rate this topic

epistemologue

Believe me, it's hopeless. He's not going to give up custody, and he isn't going to run off copies either, if you were thinking of that. Not for a stranger...hell I doubt he'd even let me borrow them now, knowing that they might be irreplaceable, and I've known him well over 20 years. Like I said before, some people get really attached to their collections.

Damn.

Damn.

Man you just won't give up! :)

I called the Ayn Rand Bookstore. The pleasant lady I spoke with said the conversion is taking longer than planned (assumed), and that no time frame is available, although she did say "a couple months" at one point -- take that for what it's worth.

What she could confirm, though, is that the prices will be "significantly cheaper, up to as much as 50%." She also said that they will be releasing the lectures in "waves," and that Ayn Rand and Leonard Peikoff will be "absolutely" included in the first wave -- their entire catalog of lectures.

Maybe that will tide you over a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

Man you just won't give up! :)

I called the Ayn Rand Bookstore. The pleasant lady I spoke with said the conversion is taking longer than planned (assumed), and that no time frame is available, although she did say "a couple months" at one point -- take that for what it's worth.

What she could confirm, though, is that the prices will be "significantly cheaper, up to as much as 50%." She also said that they will be releasing the lectures in "waves," and that Ayn Rand and Leonard Peikoff will be "absolutely" included in the first wave -- their entire catalog of lectures.

Maybe that will tide you over a bit!

I've been calling for months and they've consistently said it will be 'months' - i.e. they are making no progress and nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future.

I'm bumping this thread again, if anyone knows where I can find these lectures, please let me know!

Peikoff answers a question about the availability of these lectures on today's podcast.

http://www.peikoff.com/2012/07/09/episode-224/

It comes late in the podcast, and it's not (as of this moment) broken out as a separate question. He says he won't be having a transcription published since it's an early course and he'd do it differently today. He lists other courses that will be released in book form, Objective Communication, Grammar, Great Plays, and one or two others.

No word on the future availability of MP3's.

• 3 years later...

The ARI e-store has the two courses:
Founders of Western Philosophy: Thales to Hume
Modern Philosophy: Kant to the Present

It is also available here:
https://campus.aynrand.org/ hosts the course in audio, with a PowerPoint presentation, transcripts and a set of quizzes after each section.

8 hours ago, dream_weaver said:

The ARI e-store has the two courses:
Founders of Western Philosophy: Thales to Hume
Modern Philosophy: Kant to the Present

It is also available here:
https://campus.aynrand.org/ hosts the course in audio, with a PowerPoint presentation, transcripts and a set of quizzes after each section.

These are very engaging and well worth the money.

On 5/18/2012, 1:19:06, Atlas51184 said:

Windelband's History of Philosophy was for a long time a must read for Objectivists. I think LP recommends it in his course. It might hold you over for a few months while you wait for ARB to release the LP course. Jones' multivolume History is also frequently recommended.

I would recommend that people not buy the specific version of that book that you linked to. What you linked to is a cheap "reproduction" of the book, which basically means they took a PDF of the book, printed in out in poor quality, and bound it together with some cheap binding. I would recommend holding out for an actual printed copy of the book or looking for a PDF online, since it has surely passed into the public domain by now.

Edit: I am referring to the Windelband book in this post. I will add that I know all this because I made the mistake of buying such a "reproduction" of John Stuart Mill's A System of Logic, which was expensive and completely illegible. I also bought a reproduction of Plato's Timaeus, which I found out later was literally just a copy and paste of the Project Gutenberg text. These "reproductions" are huge scams.

Edit 2: I was right, the whole thing is available for free online.

https://archive.org/stream/historyofphiloso007974mbp

Edited by William O

• 3 months later...

I am reminded of one of the reasons why this course is so instructive. Piekoff's selection of philosophers to cover, the identification of the developments of the main schools of thought over the centuries, the indications which tie into cultural trends the ideas bear close parallels to.

Miss Rand was not known for paying homage to the gatekeepers, publishing her works via the anointed scholastic philosophic channels, or going through the charade of pretending some of their questions were debatable.

Whether it be logical positivism, empiricism, intrinsicism, mysticism, etc., the key, to me, is to be able to identify the variant, and while I may not be able to explain what is wrong with it extemporaneously, at least know where to go for a refreshment on the point. It is in this way, I can serve as a signpost indicating the direction to go. A signpost cannot take you to your destination. It merely points the way.

In this sense, one doesn't need to become a philosopher in order to benefit from the philosopher.