Objectivism Online Forum

Human Relations

Rate this topic

John

I'm so glad I'm in a technical school and don't have to put up with many classes like this but it still bothers me. The first thing we learned about was self-esteem and how we get it:

How Self-Esteem Develops

Much like a pathway gets worn, when you receive messages about yourself, your brain tends to wear a pathway in your brain that causes you to stay in the habit of thinking in that certain way.  For example, if you receive a lot of messages that you are a good singer, you will eventually accept that as the truth.  Helmstetter points out that if you receive enough messages that you are a brat, you will believe them and act accordingly.

Shouldn't self esteem come from the self. Why would other people make a difference.

Now we are learning about motivation and how as leaders we have to "wear a pathway" to motivate people to do what we want them to do. We can do this through fear or acting nice.

This is what I think. Self-esteem is developed by knowing you are alive and you do everything to stay that way. Not only that but everything to achieve happiness. It has something to with being consistent about it too. The only way I can think of motivating someone is through inspiration but I'm not sure it will motivate someone unless he/she lets it. By showing some one that a goal can be reached they may be inspired by it and be motivated to do something.

Am I missing anything? How can I explain it better?

Anyway thanks for reading.