redmartian89

moral or not?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is torture of terrorists moral?

• yes, moral
    • no, immoral
    • only moral on known terrorists
    • don't know

If some maniac came at me with a knife, I would shoot him and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  In giving me no other option except to die, he would've sealed his own fate.

If I was able to restrain him and tie him up for a while, until I could decide what to do next, I wouldn't hesitate to do that either.

I could not torture someone, no matter what the circumstances.

I have to think it over a bit more, because I really haven't examined this opinion much yet.  But if I visualize actual, brutal, gruesome torture, no matter who the victim is, I cannot imagine it as acceptable or the slightest bit necessary.

But I'll have to give it more thought; that's my reflex, emotional reaction.  I'll elaborate once I figure out what I'm alluding to.

Human beings have volitional consciousness.  Someone may choose to do any particular thing, or they may not.

You can prevent someone from killing you by killing them first, if and when it's necessary.  You can prevent a certain action.

You can't force someone to perform a certain action.  A mind doesn't function at gunpoint; you cannot actually force someone to tell you what they don't want to.

The act of torture is an attempt to deal with men the way one deals with nature; it's the icon of coercion and a blatant refusal to accept the facts of reality.  You can't negate someone's free will with any amount of force, pain or fear; if someone truly doesn't want to tell you something then you'll be forced by necessity to escalate further and further into the depths of depravity if you attempt to torture it from them.

(that's probably why torture is what it is; saying "please" simply won't do it and, the firmer a man's convictions, the more cruelly you'll have to treat him in order to break them)

The act of torturing someone is the attempt to turn A into non-A by whatever means necessary.

I'm still not sure if that makes it morally evil or not.  But I sure as Hell know that no rational person would attempt it, themselves; why are we debating if others should do it on our behalf?