Objectivism Online Forum

Tom Cruise is absolutely nuts.

Rate this topic

West

I have my own ethics that I have to put in on other peoples' ethics. I will not hesitate to put my ethics on someone else, because I put it so ruthlessly to myself. We have the responsibility to say, this is the way it's to be done. And we're helping people.

http://defamer.com/344987/the-tom-cruise-i...want-you-to-see

The video is 9 and a half minutes long, but he really doesn't say anything at all. He talks a lot about "doing something," and "really helping for the first time," without saying what needs to be done or how anyone should go about doing it. I don't really know much about Scientology besides the fact that once you reach the upper levels, you learn about how humans are possessed by little ghost things that came out of a volcano after they were punished by some God from another planet (or something), but this makes it seem like whatever ethical facade they hide and expand behind is equally as shallow.

"We are the authorities on the mind." That was classic.

How do people buy in to this trash?

The video is 9 and a half minutes long, but he really doesn't say anything at all. He talks a lot about "doing something," and "really helping for the first time," without saying what needs to be done or how anyone should go about doing it. I don't really know much about Scientology besides the fact that once you reach the upper levels, you learn about how humans are possessed by little ghost things that came out of a volcano after they were punished by some God from another planet (or something), but this makes it seem like whatever ethical facade they hide and expand behind is equally as shallow.

"We are the authorities on the mind." That was classic.

How do people buy in to this trash?

I honestly have no real answer for that. I just don't get it. Especially with all the fiascos Scientologists pull off you'd think people would get the clue. I'd quit any religion after they asked me for money. :(

Yeah, sounds pretty cryptic. And there is too much information on Scientology on wikipedia to sort through to figure out what this shit is all about.

Read my thread on prayer. if it is religion, you ahve scant chance to make sense of it. It's not as if religion were rational.

Scientology, or Dianetics, is systematic, at least as it deals with the outside world. It started as psychotherapy, but medical practices, including pshychology, are regulated. Religions are not. Therefore it switched to being a religion.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't the inventor of the religion himself publicly admit on television that Scientology was just about making money? If he did, then his followers are the greatest evaders I have ever heard of.

I've heard that too, but haven't bothered to do any follow-up. But if it's true:

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't the inventor of the religion himself publicly admit on television that Scientology was just about making money? If he did, then his followers are the greatest evaders I have ever heard of.

I seriously doubt it.

One well-known fact about Scientology is the lenghts the church goes to protect its reputation. An awful lot of journalists have been sued for libel, defamation and such for pieces they've published which were critical of Scientology or even L. Ron Hubbard. Indeed, Hubbard started the practice of suing over any public slight. Such a man would hardly go on the air and admit it's all a fraud.

But if you know of a video of him saying just that, I'd love to see it.

The story is that Hubbard made a bet with Sci-Fi writer Joe Haldeman at a convention that he (Hubbard) could invent a new religion and never have to work again. Apparently the dates don't match up though, Hubbard was already involved with Scientology (mid 1950's) before he met Haldeman (mid 1960's).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I seriously doubt it.

But if you know of a video of him saying just that, I'd love to see it.

I couldn't find the video, but I found, though from one of the members of "Anonymous" (the Chans), the phrase I was thinking of: "Make money. Make more money. Make other people produce so as to make more money". - L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 9 March 1972, MS OEC 384. <I cannot verify the reference>

To me this quote should be deadly to the campaign. I know it is true then: Scientologists are the greatest evaders I have ever seen.