Objectivism Online Forum

Why Work?

Rate this topic

KevinDW78

Hah!!! The sad thing is that it took me a minute to figure out that this is a joke! (Not sad for myself - sad in that there are people out there who really do think like that!

Huh? Why do you think it's a joke? I didn't see anything to indicate that this wasn't utterly sincere.

Oh my! Yes, I just went back to the site and saw there is a full discussion forum...! ;)

The philosophical flaws in this movement are obvious, but the central one is that because happiness is an offshoot of production, rational people do not hate their work.

I don't mean to imply that ALL rational people love their jobs 100% of the time. A fully rational person could very be in a situation that would keep him from pursuing his ideal work. For instance, many people take so-called "ho-hum" jobs to provide the money and means for future careers that are of value to them. However, such situations are usually temporary and serve a higher value in the end. But by and large I don't know too many Objectivists / Objectivist-leaning people that actually hate their jobs - especially if the are at the stage in there lives that they are doing what one would call a career.

ETA: You have got to be kidding me! http://www.whywork.org/action/lifestyle/income.html

Edited by Tabitha

There's nothing wrong with seeking creative ways to make a living that don't involve working 9-5 in an office. What's wrong is thinking that this somehow means you aren't "working" or that there's something wrong with people who *do* work 9-5 in an office.