Objectivism Online Forum

SNL / Sarah Palin

Rate this topic

I'm sorry, but I just had to point this out:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/22/sn...new-york-times/

What I find amusing is that anyone thinks it's front page news that SNL isn't funny. I mean, the last time SNL made a funny joke, Nixon was in the White House.

Edited by KevinDW78

Why anyone thinks this is funny is beyond me. A good impression, which Tina Fey did deliver, doesn't automatically make something funny.

Carvey's impression of George H. W. Bush, now that's funny.

You can't just expect that because someone does a good impression that it is going to be funny...Wouldn't be prudent.

I haven't seen the "incest" sketch in question, but I laughed at Tina Fey's appearance a week ago. I had never seen Palin speak, so I wasn't even judging by how good her impression was. I simply like Fey's style. "God hugging us closer" was funny to me. The posing, I also thought was funny.

Saying that SNL hasn't made a funny joke since the 70's is so patently false that I assume it must be hyperbole.

Edited by musenji

Saying that SNL hasn't made a funny joke since the 70's is so patently false that I assume it must be hyperbole.

I may have been exagerating, but for the most part, I stand by it. With the exception of the original cast of SNL in the 70s, I don't think it has ever been funny since. But it's not just SNL either. Most of Hollywood/television seems to have gone the same direction - towards not-funniness.

Edited by KevinDW78

In regards to SNL being not-funny, I can't help but disagree on a few key skits: Almost anything with Chris Farley still leaves me in stitches (the Japanese Gameshow, so awesome), and pretty much every Celebrity Jeopardy.

Steve Carrell as the host a couple months back was pretty funny.

I mean, the last time SNL made a funny joke, Nixon was in the White House.

What about the "Shooting/Killing of Buckweath" and the folow on "Shooting/Killiing of Buckweath's assasin"? The Eddie Murphy era was mostly good. There was the satire of "My Fair Lady," with host Edwin newman and former SNL News anchor Brad Hall ("Iranians' pains come mainly from Khomeini. Khomeini's reign is mainly based on pain").

And Chris Farley was good as the motivational speaker who lives "In a van down by the river!"

Sure, Dan Akroyd, Jim Belushi and Gilda Radner did very well, but so have others.

Well, there is the under lying issue that conservatives seek to make sure nothing bad is ever said about their choice of people. If there is any chance they can take something out of proportion and out of context, they will do it.

Bill Clinton incest jokes would of generated no hysteria, like Sarah Palin jokes.

Edited by Mammon

SNL has been a hollow show marred by leftist thinking and agenda for a long time now. The same with the Simpsons. They were good at one point but they should really just go away. Their audience they seem to appeal to is the type who forces laughter in order to appear cultured or hip to pointless pop-culture references. Jimmy Falon was just the worst, I couldn't watch anything once he showed up. He was like the poor and humorless man's Adam Sandler. SNL was good for several years around the early 90's and it's been terminally uninteresting since.

It seems as though the McCain campaign is trying desperately to limit Sarah Palin's interviews with reporters. Do they really consider her to be that much of a loose cannon?

And Tina Fey does a neat impersonation of Palin, good satire, very funny.

What is NOT funny is how much of an imbecile that Palin has proven herself to be. To think she could be a heartbeat away from the presidency is appalling.

Ayn Rand's prophecy in Atlas Shrugged is really coming to light this fall.

Ayn Rand's prophecy in Atlas Shrugged is really coming to light this fall.

It wasn't a prophesy. Rand said herself that the world did not have to be this way, and that there was still ample time for it to be changed. Whether or not that is true now, is a different story. That's where ARI tends to be optimistic and I tend to be skeptical.

It wasn't a prophesy. Rand said herself that the world did not have to be this way, and that there was still ample time for it to be changed. Whether or not that is true now, is a different story.

In many respects it was a prophesy. Rand had ample evidence and exposure to facts to relate to in Atlas Shrugged, written circa 1957. Since the politicians refused to pay much heed, let alone those businessmen who allied themselves to the government (like AIG) the downward spiral Rand tells in Atlas Shrugged has very much come to light.

And Tina Fey's impersonation of Palin is both funny and brutally sarcastic of a second-hander who has no clue.

BRAVO TINA FEY!