Objectivism Online Forum

Religion

Rate this topic

I feel like I'm being torn in half by my current dilemma. Last summer I first discovered Objectivism, and have slowly started questioning by religious beliefs. I know that logically many of the premises of religion and of believing in god do not make sense. But I am having a lot of trouble letting it go.

I was confirmed Catholic about a year ago, and at the time I truly believed what they taught me. Now that I see the errors in what I was taught I feel betrayed as well. I don't know if I can ever fully let it go, or if deep down I don't want to. I just don't know. I fear not believing in something. I don't know why. I feel like death is something to be afraid of now.

I guess I wrote this to see if anyone else has gone through a similar situation and if they had any words of advice.

Thank you.

I have been there. Study deeper into Objectivism. Then you reach the state where your life is worth living, death looses it's horror. Death is feared for the uncertainty and so is belief in something more powerful than yourself. Some people that have more experience with Objectivism will probably help you more than I can, but I must conclude that your first step towards stopping to fear death is learning to love life.

Asked about death, Ayn Rand said: 'Death is not everything, but eternity is. And eternity is now.'

I have not had a similar experience (I've been questioning God/religion since my mother started taking me to church as a young child), but I wonder why you fear death? Why worry about the inevitable? I say, get out and live life to the fullest while you can. Find your values, what makes you happy and live for yourself and them.

You should fear death!

Death is bad!

Life is good!

That's why Objectivists choose life instead of death!

Religious people are taught (and many choose) to sacrifice their quality of life on earth in order to have a better life after they die.

When you let go of religion and faith, you don't lose something, you gain something.

You gain volition!

You choose to embrace life!

You choose to embrace reality and reason!

You choose to allow yourself to be proud, productive and to be happy!

You choose to live for yourself in the here and now instead of living for strangers or for a life after death that doesn't even exist!

Here is a good blog by Dr. Hurd that made me think of your post.

A lot of the reason people underachieve -- or even get depressed -- is because of a false belief that there's "something better." Sometimes this false belief is in an afterlife. Only the most fervent believers can buy into this belief and, yes, they probably get less depressed because of this faith. But how mentally healthy can it be to depend upon self-delusion to keep your happiness and self-esteem propped up? Most, while nominally claiming they believe in "something better after this life" don't believe this strongly enough to overcome the worry that it might not be so. Yet, they have internalized this belief enough to keep them from placing all their hope, energy and effort into this life -- that is to say, into life. I don't mean to say that this problem only applies to religious believers. There are many agnostics and even atheists who are plagued, at least subconsciously, by a sense that "there must be something better" or "there should be something better." Think of this as a "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome applied not to a specific situation, but to all of life itself. If you want to get to the root of your depression, or your poor motivation, or your "low energy," [or your anxiety about death?] this is definitely something to consider. At the end of the day, you either are committed to flourishing in this life -- assuming it is THE imperative above all imperatives -- or you're not. It seems illogical and downright silly to attempt to cure one's mental ailments without addressing this most fundamental of issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Doctor- Yes, many of the premises for God are silly, but continuing belief in and trust in God is called faith. Depending on the person, I have seen faith destroy one person, and yet save build another up and save his life. Do not be afraid of death! Be afraid that you have not accomplished your goals in your life!

It is completely your choice.

Doctor- Yes, many of the premises for God are silly, but continuing belief in and trust in God is called faith. Depending on the person, I have seen faith destroy one person, and yet save build another up and save his life. Do not be afraid of death! Be afraid that you have not accomplished your goals in your life!

It is completely your choice.

Very true. You should not rush into anything, less you make mistakes in what you are trying to comprehend. Take your time, and know that it is always your choice. Read more about O'ism, so you can see what makes sense. Read about your old religion, so you can see what does not. Come to your own conclusions, and live life for yourself, for your reasons. But the most important part is that you get out there and make your life worth living for yourself. People who do that find that they have no fear of death or anything beyond that.