Objectivism Online Forum

The Lives of Others

Rate this topic

brian0918

This movie is a terrifying glimpse into the reality of 24 hour surveillance, secret police, and lives destroyed and ruined for political advantage in East Berlin during the 80s. It rightly won an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. I don't have time for a full-out review, but I found a short review from 2007 by Oist Myrhaf:

The great movie was The Lives of Others, a German movie about the Stasi in 1984. It is one of the best movies I have seen. I won't go into the plot. The movie deals with issues of freedom and power. I would say the theme is morality vs. totalitarianism. The story brilliantly concretizes the value-conflict every step of the way. This movie is great for the reason Rescue Dawn is not: the story of The Lives of Others is entirely made up and is more satisfying than real life, whereas the story of Rescue Dawn is limited to what really happened.

Do not miss The Lives of Others.

I would like to add, upon reflection, that the last line of The Lives of Others is the best last line in movie history.

What is this last line, with which everyone here will identify? Well, you'll just have to watch it to find out. :)

Edited by brian0918