Objectivism Online Forum

Good introductions to set theory.

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

I hope I've not posted this in another section. I know I've posted requests like this on other forums I frequent.

I plan on taking a class next semester that will be focusing on logic and set theory. As far as logic goes, I have a fairly competent grasp of the notation, concepts and methods of first order logic. However, I find I know far too little about set theory. I assume this class will provide introductions itself, but I would like to be primed for course. I have a copy of "Naive Set Theory" ready to crack open but I want to make sure I'm not going to hit a roadblock somewhere in the book. I'm not what you would call a math whiz, and I know set theory assumes you know your stuff. I know a lot of folks on here are much more familiar with these topics, so suggestions of texts or even internet resources to begin my journey at would be great.

I guess I should make clear that I am looking for stuff on Set Theory post-Russell's Paradox. I don't know much about the history of it, but I do know he predates a kind of re-modeling of how one deals with sets. It's my understanding that will be the main content of the course, while Cantor and the nineteenth century will probably just be used as an introduction. Could be totally wrong though as I've only spoken with the professor once about it.

Anyway, besides not being totally relevant, I think I remember Corvini's courses being a bit pricey. Unless Corvini has something novel to say on the paradoxes that overthrow much of that era's work, I don't think it's a worthy investment.