Objectivism Online Forum

Accepting Organ Donation

Rate this topic

Rejecting something unearned when there is no option to earn it and you need it, is itself a form of self-sacrifice.

This applies to societies with mixed economy, as Nick has clearly pointed out. We benefit everyday from goods provided by the State from coercitive expropiation of others' wealth.

Rejecting such benefit when all other options have been closed by the current system would be self-sacrificial.

Other situations involving the unearned is good luck. From time to time, you happen to find goods or oppotunities that you didn't strive for, and nevertheless you take advantage of.

As Nick suggests, living by principle does not imply rationalism (an epistemological flaw by which we deprive concepts from their referents in reality). A principle is a valid code of conduct as long as it remains connected with the facts of life.

"Wake up early" "Work hard" "Brush your teeth" are not absolutes. And neither "Don't accept gifts from strangers" is an absolute.

Well said. One does not deduce correct actions from floating abstractions like "it's immoral to accept the unearned". One arrives at the principle via a process of induction from facts. Thus one doesn't become stuck in some kind of unresolvable linguistic deadlock about what "unearned" actually means.

This also helps one avoid the bad habit of constructing bizarre hypotheticals as if they had any kind of importance as a general guide to conduct.

Rejecting something unearned when there is no option to earn it and you need it, is itself a form of self-sacrifice.

This applies to societies with mixed economy, as Nick has clearly pointed out. We benefit everyday from goods provided by the State from coercitive expropiation of others' wealth.

Rejecting such benefit when all other options have been closed by the current system would be self-sacrificial.

Other situations involving the unearned is good luck. From time to time, you happen to find goods or oppotunities that you didn't strive for, and nevertheless you take advantage of.

As Nick suggests, living by principle does not imply rationalism (an epistemological flaw by which we deprive concepts from their referents in reality). A principle is a valid code of conduct as long as it remains connected with the facts of life.

"Wake up early" "Work hard" "Brush your teeth" are not absolutes. And neither "Don't accept gifts from strangers" is an absolute.

This has slipped away from the original 'brief' by the OP. Of course, you are right, as far as what you say goes about principles being tied to reality. Exactly.

But to go back: "A stranger, acting under altruist motives, offers to give their organ to me (it is understood that the stranger will die.)" - OP

Is it really self-sacrifice not to accept? does this come under "good luck"- "goods and opportunities"- etc

Is a life a product?

Trouble is, you're viewing it as epistemological, when it's the larger scope of morality, I think.

(If the organ were offered on a plate, post-mortem, then there's no moral conflict: One accepts it gladly - as any organ donation.)

In this instance, bizarre as it is, some insane altruist wants to give his life for yours. Do you accept or reject him?

The "earned"(or unearned) relates to one's just (or unjust) rewards, in reality.

How, possibly, can a stranger's life (and death) *ever* be earned, be up to you to dispose of?

(Even with his blessing.)

The self-sacrifice lies in agreeing to allow the person to die for you, and live in defiance of reality and rationality.

Edited by whYNOT

This seems easy to me. I would explain to the donor that it is wrong of them to think they had some obligation to give me their organ, especially at the cost of their life. If I clearly explained it, and yet the person insisted, and the person was a stranger, I would say, "OK, thanks."

If the person was someone I knew and cared about (a family member, perhaps), then I would refuse. All these decisions would come from my rational self interest. (I am self-interested in having a life, but also having a life with people I care about in it.)

I don't see the contradiction.

• 2 months later...