Objectivism Online Forum

Help! Forum Member Cannot Post

Rate this topic

Burgess Laughlin is unable to post.

When he signs in, his name appears in the Board Statistics

at the bottom of the page, but at the top of the page it still says:

"Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )"

Each time he tries to log in, the same thing happens.

When he attempts to post, he gets this Board Message:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information."

The error returned was:

"Your posting permissions have been removed."

It then says:

"You are not logged in, you may log in below."

If he tries to log in again the whole frustrating process happens anew. :lol:

I have tried to sign in with my own user name from his computer and mine does not work either.

It appears that the problem is restricted to the relationship between OO.net and his computer only. I don't know on which end the problem is occurring.

We deleted all cookies on his computer as well as all offline content and the problem still persists.

I contacted GreedyCapitalist about this to ask him if perhaps Burgess had been accidentally banned, or if someone with a similar IP had been banned. GreedyCapitalist told me that Burgess's IP address doesn't match anything in the ban list, so that can't be the problem.

We still have no idea what is causing this problem.

Can anyone help?

He's using MSN. I'll ask him to try Internet Explorer instead.

If IE doesn't work, ask him what has changed in the configuration he uses since the last time he could access the forum. Even if he doesn't know the details, did he get a new PC, or install some new software, get a new internet provider... might just provide a hint of what changed.

The same thing has been happening to me to for about 3 weeks now. That's why I haven't been posting much. I am on a barrowed computer right now. At home I use msntv to get online and that's what I have the problem with. I've tried everything, clearing cookies, wiping the things little hard drive (many times). Help! I don't know what else to do and this is my favorite webesite. GC did you change anything about three weeks ago (when I first sent you a PM complaining about this problem) that you could possibly undue?

Burgess and Rational_One:

You've both cleared cookies. The problem seems to be that the cookie from this site is not being allowed onto your computer. So, when you log in, there is no record of it saved on your computer.

MSN and other services sometimes package a browser on their disks and set up some restrictive settings.

In IE's menu: Tools / Internet Options, you will find a tab called "Privacy".

On this tab, you can adjust the policy to let IE accept/not-accept cookies, and other things.

There's a slider that can be dragged up and down to increase or decrease security. I suggest you drag it down to the least secure setting -- temporarily. Then, try accessing the site.

If that works, the next step would be to set it so that you do not lose any of your current security settings, but this site is still allowed to do what it needs to.

If it does not work, we'd need to look elsewhere.

BTW: Did you try David's suggestion of using FireFox. You can download it from this site (v 1.0.3). The default settings should be such that you can access this site.

The same thing has been happening to me to for about 3 weeks now. That's why I haven't been posting much. I am on a barrowed computer right now. At home I use msntv to get online and that's what I have the problem with. I've tried everything, clearing cookies, wiping the things little hard drive (many times). Help! I don't know what else to do and this is my favorite webesite. GC did you change anything about three weeks ago (when I first sent you a PM complaining about this problem) that you could possibly undue?

MSNTV is a closed system that is problematic. Our site at work has problems all the time with them. Firefox is NOT an option since the only system can only run the one that is built in. For that reason, anything with certain pieces of java and things such as PDF's are no-go's.

I just logged onto our support pages and found out we don't support webtv at all anymore. I remember that there is an old developer fle I had about their cookie settings that went as thus:

1. Access Web Home

2. Click on 'HELP'

3. Scroll down to 'QUICK PICK'

4. Click on 'UTILITIES TOOLS'

5. On the next page, click on 'RESET COOKIES'

6. The yellow bar on your screen will change to green and then back to yellow

7. Once this is finished, turn your WebTV OFF and then back ON

8. This should correct the problem. If you continue to experience problems, please contact WebTV Technical Support at 1-800-469-3288.

I double checked the old support site I had and it's no longer valid. It seems that MSNTV2 now requires you to call or email them for support and they don't offer their web based support. I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a donut hole that the problems you are experiencing are due to the default cookie handler resetting itself to "do not accept" from oo.net.

I doubt that will help but I hope it will.

Welcome back Burgess.  :)

Thank you!

Here is one more quirk. When I tried going back to OO through MSN Explorer again, I could, as before, read the posts -- but all the signatures are gone from the posts. (My "original" signature was present on my member's page, the viewing profile, but not on the posts.) Could something weird have happened if David made some change to the policy about signatures? Or did I inadvertently get "banned" because of a misapplication of a policy change?

When I go to OO through Firefox, the signatures for everyone's posts are all in place.

Does anyone have any idea why the difference?

...but all the signatures are gone from the posts. (My "original" signature was present on my member's page, the viewing profile, but not on the posts.)
I don't know why the signature would be sent (from the site to your browser) any differently from the rest of the post. That is interesting.... ponder, ponder!

However, I can see your signature, when I browse using IE. So, the issue seems to be on your end -- likely something about IE's config, but I can't imagine what.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Laughlin wanted me to give you this message:

"The Firefox connection worked for about a week. Now, even through Mozilla Firefox I can not get access to OO.net. This problem first appeared this morning, Thursday. When I click on the button near the top, the button Patrick help me set up for OO.net, I get this message, as an alert:

'The connection was refused when attempting to contact forum.objectivismonline.net'

When I try to go through Google search, on Firefox, I get the same message.

As before, this problem appears only in trying to connect to OO.net -- not in connecting with any other site on my favorites list.

Burgess Laughlin"

• 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.