Objectivism Online Forum

Pre Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Rate this topic

I looked through the threads on depression, trying to avoid redundancy, but I didn't see anyone address the particular form of depression I am dealing with, PMDD (Pre Menstrual Dsyphoric Disorder).

I experience severe mood swings, anxiety, fatigue, helplessness, listlessness, general inablility to function in a monthly cycle. This happens about a week before my period (sorry sqeemish guys) and lasts only about 24 hours, then I "snap out of it." During that time I cry constantly and can't make decisions.

I wanted to know if anyone rational (i.e. in this forum) has had any experience with this, either personally or with a loved one. I am currently seeking help from a few OBGYNs and am looking for a competent psychiatrist, though I hope I don't need to go that far.

I have been very disappointed with all the literature I have read on the Web that all say the same thing: "no one knows what causes PMDD." That's not good enough for me. I don't want to take an anitdepressant if I don't have to. I don't like the idea of drugging my brain- it's too valuable.

I have some theories, but I am not a medical doctor. I didn't have this problem until I started taking birth control medication and think the hormonal fluctuations might be the culprit.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to fix this problem because it is making me waste a day of my life every month.

(Fixed minor typo in title - softwareNerd)

Edited by softwareNerd

You say that you want to avoid medication. Was medication recommended? If so, have you tried it for a few months to see if it really makes a difference?

Also, in your introduction thread, you said: "I know the pervading stand by most Objectivists is that Depression is more a philosophical than psychiatric problem." Are you referring to some particular text or lecture by a psychologist who happens to be an Objectivist? Also, when one says "is more..." one needs to be clear about the meaning. For instance, it might mean that (say) 95% of the people who have depression, have it because of some philosophical issue. Or it might mean that in any particular depressed person, 95% of the cause is philosophical. Those are very different propositions.

Edited by softwareNerd

I have some theories, but I am not a medical doctor. I didn't have this problem until I started taking birth control medication and think the hormonal fluctuations might be the culprit.

Have you told your doctor about this? If you have ANY side effects from medication, ESPECIALLY from hormone medications like birth control you need to stop it immediately.

Progesterone (the main ingredient in birth control pills) has been correlated with all kinds of health problems, including fibroids, breast cancer, sometimes blood clots and heart disease. If you need birth control, it's probably better to stick with a barrier method (condoms, diaphragm, etc.) than to screw up your hormones. A lot of women do NOT take hormone interference well. Not to mention that there really isn't any information available about the long-term effects of birth control pills. Most of the stories I've heard are anectodal and possibly apocryphal, though, so I won't repeat them.

My mother, for instance, had terrible mood swings and frequent, irregular bleeding when she was on depo-Provera, which forced her to stop the shots. She returned instantly to normal and lost 15 pounds.

I personally have been on Ortho Tri-cyclin with no ill effects, but I have a weirdly medication-resistant system . . . I can take just about anything and still feel pretty much the same as I did before I took it. I've read about some fairly recent research that indicates a much lower dose of progesterone can be just as effective in preventing pregnancy with much milder side effects, you might want to look into that.

Softwarenerd-

Yes, medication was recommended by my current OBGYN, as in, "fill out this chart (a symptom chart), come back and see me and we'll put you on Prozac." She wasn't very receptive to the idea that my current medication was causing the problem, despite the fact that it clearly lists "depression" as a possible side effect. I want a second opinion and I'm seeing another OBGYN in a few days. I want to at least try a different birth control or going off of it before I jump into Prozac.

The references I was making when I made my (not so precise) generalization about Objectivists and depression were based upon articles/comments from Dr. Hurd and what I read in other threads on this forum. I certainly didn't mean to imply that this was a universal belief. Also, by "is more" I meant that while I believe the first of your options, it seems like the majority of others I have encountered believe the latter.

JMeganSnow-

I told my current doctor and she told me not to stop taking the medication. She thought that my condition would probably be worse without it. I'm getting a second opinion soon.

I originally began taking the medication about three years ago to help mitigate very painful cramps. However, I think I was more productive dealing with the pain than I am with the emotional problems.

Thanks to both of you for the replys.