Objectivism Online Forum

Chinese Firewall Censors Internet Content

Rate this topic

slave

Andy Clarkson blocked by great fire-wall of China!!!!! That's an honor, to be sure.

I wonder if there's a way to double-check this. It could be that his blog contains too many words that are dangerous to young Chinese minds.

"Slave", Are other blogSpot blogs accessible? An old article spoke about blogSpot being banned en masse.

From your reply, I conclude that all BlogSpot blogs have been blocked, because I linked to my own BlogSpot blog which has an innocuous name and pretty innocuous content. I wonder if all of the Wikipedia is blocked, or only that article.

There are ways to circumvent the restrictions through Proxies and VPNs, but I'm hesitant to post anything. A little knowledge might give one the illusion of being safe. Rather, one must assume that almost anything you do on the net can be tracked by your ISP, which -- I'm guessing -- is a Chinese entity.

I also connect at work which circumvents the restrictions somehow.
If you work for a large multi-national they might encrypt everything as it "leaves the building" and send it to a machine in (say) the U.S., which then decrypts and acts as a browser "proxy" on your behalf, sending pages back as encrypted along the same "pipeline". "Inside your bulding" another machine then decrypts the response and sends it back to you. All at great speed.

If you don't hear from me for a while, I think you might be right.
;)

Why don't you just use a proxy anyways. What are they going to do to you if they find out? Nothing. China isn't Nazi Germany and this isn't the early 20th century where people were randomly killed by dictatorship goverments. Don't be scared of a bunch of BS your government spouts. I mean come on, there's over a billion people there. Do you think your government is actually wasting time tracking what people are browsing on the internet?

Edited by EC

Why don't you just use a proxy anyways. What are they going to do to you if they find out? Nothing.

Eric - you sound like an American. That's not a bad thing, of course. But, I am afraid, Slave is not in America. Do you have first hand knowledge of the everyday situation he faces in China from your vantage point in Michigan? Remember - he lives among people who play with guns.

China isn't Nazi Germany and this isn't the early 20th century where people were randomly killed by dictatorship goverments.
How are the thugs in charge of China any different that the thugs in Nazi Germany? What they may feel they can get away with may perhaps be different. But they are still thugs, and as such, are still dangerous.

Don't be scared of a bunch of BS your government spouts.

I personally am afraid of anyone who has a gun pointed at me. Unless conditions were so bad that I considered death to be preferable to life in a hell hole, I would be, therefore, very cautious whenever criminals of any stripe are in close proximity. I doubt that things are currently so bad in China that one can afford to be reckless.

I mean come on, there's over a billion people there. Do you think your government is actually wasting time tracking what people are browsing on the internet?

That is very true. But they don't have to knock off a billion people. All they have to do is make a handful of well publicized examples - and one should not wish to be one of those examples. Furthermore, merely killing someone is not the only penalty one might face when tangling with the wrong thug. In dictatorships, certain thugs have the power to kill one's opportunities for education, career and other things which we take for granted here in the USA.

Obviously, one should oppose thugs and dictators in whatever way is open to one. But if one is living in a society where the dictatorship is already crumbling - well, sometimes it pays to think long term. Think of the especially sad fate of those who were killed trying to scale the Berlin Wall circa 1989. A couple of years later, they would have been able to simply walk past.

My suggestion to Slave is to at all times be careful and act in his long term self-interest - and if you do resist the government, make sure it is something which will have a meaningful impact and not turn you into some sort of martyr. And if things do not improve over there, perhaps someday you can find a way to come over here.

I personally would not last very long in a dictatorship, I am afraid, because I would probably tell the wrong thug where to shove it. But that does not mean that such is the best approach to such a situation.

I suppose you're right, but if I were there I would probably be one of those people that gets himself killed by the thugs in power because I would rather die then follow some irrational ruler's arbitrary laws.

The BBC had an article about this on their site (I wonder if that's blocked too). Here are some quotes:

There is now an estimated 30,000-strong internet police force ...
Increasingly, though, the authorities are relying on individuals to censor themselves ... Steve Ballinger, of Amnesty International, says: "Amnesty International is aware of at least 64 cyber dissidents who are imprisoned right now j... Some of the offences they're accused of are signing an online petition, sending information to a foreign organisation, or disseminating information about the SARS virus."
In spite of all this, many people here simply refuse to be cowed and they are finding some inventive ways to circumvent the restrictions.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a news-story that's relveant to this thread.

Summary: Falun Gong is a Chinese religious group that is restricted by the Chinese government. Some Falun Gong adherents live in the U.S.; some are U.S. citizens. One of these, a tech guy living in Geogia, was trying to develop a way to circumvent Chinese internet filtering. A group of asian-looking thugs entered his house, beat him up, and took away two laptops.

• 4 weeks later...

Summary: Falun Gong is a Chinese religious group that is restricted by the Chinese government. Some Falun Gong adherents live in the U.S.; some are U.S. citizens. One of these, a tech guy living in Geogia, was trying to develop a way to circumvent Chinese internet filtering. A group of asian-looking thugs entered his house, beat him up, and took away two laptops.

That's seriously disturbing, on US soil...

This is an unmistakable instance of foreign aggression, no different than the 9/11 attacks. And if we have a "government" that will not retaliate in kind against terrorist regimes such as China, then it is a sure sign that we have devolved to appeasement, surrender and a pathetic libertarian anarchy.

China is building its military forces faster than U.S. intelligence and military analysts expected, prompting fears that Beijing will attack Taiwan in the next two years, according to Pentagon officials. U.S. defense and intelligence officials say all the signs point in one troubling direction: Beijing then will be forced to go to war with the United States, which has vowed to defend Taiwan against a Chinese attack. http://www.washingtontimes.com/specialrepo...22138-1088r.htm

For my tastes, Chicom slave masters are no more appealing than Islamo-fascist slave masters.

It is time to gear up the American military capability to settle our scores permanently in the Middle East and then to move on to bring laissez faire government to the most populous country in the world, China. As Dr. Leonard Peikoff has observed, we should fight a proper war in self-defense "without self-crippling restrictions placed on our commanders in the field." To be successful, "it must be fought with the most effective weapons we possess" -- including all out nuclear war. http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=2635

If not now, when? If not us, who?