Objectivism Online Forum

To Whose Code Does Gambling Belong To?

Rate this topic

This is my first post, so I will try to make a good impression.

Last night, while driving home after a poker game with a couple of high school friends, I wondered about the morality of gambling, poker more specifically. I started thinking about it near the end of the game when Nick won a very large hand against me. Nick said, "Sorry, man" as he could tell I was frustrated by another loss. I told him shouldn't be because I had made a mistake and it's just a game. Besides, he had played by the rules and had earned it.

The question I am still pondering is whether gambling belongs to the productive or to the looters. I guess as a friendly game between friends for low stakes it does not really matter, but I am more conserned with the growing number of people who are becoming professional poker players. I am tending to think that gambling belongs to the looters, but I would like to get some imput from others.

My main issue with professional gambling is that there is no wealth produced. Unlike any other profession, there is no product and no service. All money obtained by a gambler comes directly from another. In a game of poker there is a static amount of wealth, unlike in business competition. Also, there is no mutual exchange of benefit. Another thing that bothers me is that deception is the key tool to wealth. Gambling in many ways is theft. However, no force is used and it is almost voluntary.

Yet, poker still rewards those of a stronger mind. Although there is luck involved, to be successful one must have above average intelligence and analytical skill. From what I can tell, most of the high-ranking pros I see on TV were successful outside of the realm of poker already. Further, the game is based on rational law and probablity. Just because someone wishes the next card will be something, does not mean that it will appear.

I would like to hear what some other people think about this topic.