Objectivism Online Forum

A silly poll about Walking

Rate this topic

Usual walking speed  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you typically walk slower or faster than average?

• About average, I suppose/ who knows or cares
    • Usually faster than other people around
    • Usually slower than other people around

My friends have often complained that I walk too fast. When I was a kid, my peers made fun of me because I would run everywhere I went. Actually, everyone in my family has been or is in a track/running club of some kind.

Whenever I walk somewhere, everyone else is always going really slow. I don't know if this is because I walk freakishly fast, or if it's because Ohio is one of the fattest States in the country. Perhaps it is partially related to both?

-Q

It depends on my mood and whether I'm trying to carry on a conversation and walk at the same time. The more other things I try to do, the slower I walk. I also walk more slowly if I'm looking around at the scenery or if I don't know where I'm going.

If I do know where (and I'm wearing comfortable shoes) I walk quite fast.

I got teased a lot in high school for walking at twice (and sometimes faster) the walking speed of most people. I am about the same now minus the being teased. Even if I talk and walk or read a walk (I do a lot of that since I know my area very well and as such can do it safely). In fact I have to slow down to even reach marching speed, even though a march is a fast walk.

I got teased a lot in high school for walking at twice (and sometimes faster) the walking speed of most people. I am about the same now minus the being teased. Even if I talk and walk or read a walk (I do a lot of that since I know my area very well and as such can do it safely). In fact I have to slow down to even reach marching speed, even though a march is a fast walk.

I will say that me and DM are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to walking speed, and about being teased by it too perhaps. People still comment to me about it and some tell me to slow down (as I tend to trip more than most, though not by much. This is not an issue of speed however, though what it is I am not exactly sure).

I find that 1) It is a good way to help keep fit 2) Reduces travelling times when walking and 3) Well I find it hard not to walk fast now, I am so used to it. If I am walking with others that are not as fast, I usually have to focus to keep my speed down so as not to way overtake my companion(s).

I will say that me and DM are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to walking speed, and about being teased by it too perhaps. People still comment to me about it and some tell me to slow down (as I tend to trip more than most, though not by much. This is not an issue of speed however, though what it is I am not exactly sure).

I find that 1) It is a good way to help keep fit 2) Reduces travelling times when walking and 3) Well I find it hard not to walk fast now, I am so used to it. If I am walking with others that are not as fast, I usually have to focus to keep my speed down so as not to way overtake my companion(s).

Yeah, they do not tell me to slow down anymore. Not my walking anyway. They still tell me to slow down my talking, which is probably faster than my walking. I am what they had in mind when they coined the term moter-mouth.

I find those three things as well. Of course me and Dwayne do not have to slow down for each other, though sometimes we do anyway out of habit because we are used to doing it when walking with others.

• 1 month later...

You know, SN, I didn't even see your post and I was going to add another post whining about how I'm the ONLY one who walks slowly, but now John is here and my life is complete.

Just for the record, I walk slow everywhere, BUT at work, where I usually walk briskly.

When I backback, I am the "little engine the could" - slow and steady wins the race.

It's not because I can't walk fast, and I can even run pretty quickly (my 5K PR is 19:16 which is a little over 6 minute miles), but gosh I just like strolling most of the time.

...(my 5K PR is 19:16 which is a little over 6 minute miles)...
That's impressive!

I'm a fast walker myself, without trying to be. I usually pass people on the sidewalk like I pass them on the highway (maybe not an exact comparison!).