Objectivism Online Forum

Is Obama being treated like a God?

Rate this topic

ers

*** Mod's note: Split from an earlier thread. - sN ***

Can you point to evidence of people taking Obama's word as scripture?

I won't comment explicitly on this, but if you take a look at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ (a source I think is fairly reliable) you'll see some interesting results:

63.5% approve of Obama

only ~27% approve of the majority democratic Congress

and only ~23% think the country is moving in the wright direction.

Edited by softwareNerd
Thread-split notice

I won't comment explicitly on this, but if you take a look at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ (a source I think is fairly reliable) you'll see some interesting results:

63.5% approve of Obama

only ~27% approve of the majority democratic Congress

and only ~23% think the country is moving in the wright direction.

Last time I checked, having a high presidential approval rating make doesn't you akin to a God.

I'm taking an issue here because I think statements like that (the one made above that I quote originally) are both impossible to verify, and unnecessary to utter.

Edit: It veer's things off-topic as well.

Edited by Mammon

Can you point to evidence of people taking Obama's word as scripture?

You are the instruments that God is going to use to bring about universal change, and that is why Barack has captured the youth. And he has involved young people in a political process that they didn't care anything about. That's a sign. When the Messiah speaks, the youth will hear, and the Messiah is absolutely speaking.

-Louis Farrakhan, 2/24/08

Of course, you could argue that Calypso Louie doesn't talk scripture, per se, since he's a muslim. :confused:

Last time I checked, having a high presidential approval rating make doesn't you akin to a God.

OK Mammon, I have a feeling that arguing with you is going to be pointless, so I'll concede this. I don't think people see him as a God, nor do they worship him. However, there are some very strange things going on with this man that shouldn't be ignored.

-Scores of youth chanting his name with stars in their eyes yet unable to identify one single policy or accomplishment of his

-Songs composed for school children to sing

-Camps where kids march around saying things like, "Because of Obama, I'm going to do such and such..."

-Brain dead celebrities pledging to be his unquestioning "servant"

And this article here, published today:

More than a quarter of Americans say they were moved to tears during Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony. And after his first week in office, there is widespread approval for the job Obama is doing as president.

Just what the hell has he done so far that merits that? He's signed one piece of crap legislation that was in the pipe before he was even president, and proposed another, huge pork barrel crap bill that at least half of the country disagrees with.

The man is popular and loved for some reason. And it is not because of his intellect or his accomplishments, which is scary.

OK Mammon, I have a feeling that arguing with you is going to be pointless, so I'll concede this. I don't think people see him as a God, nor do they worship him. However, there are some very strange things going on with this man that shouldn't be ignored.

-Scores of youth chanting his name with stars in their eyes yet unable to identify one single policy or accomplishment of his

-Songs composed for school children to sing

-Camps where kids march around saying things like, "Because of Obama, I'm going to do such and such..."

-Brain dead celebrities pledging to be his unquestioning "servant"

And this article here, published today:

More than a quarter of Americans say they were moved to tears during Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony. And after his first week in office, there is widespread approval for the job Obama is doing as president.

Just what the hell has he done so far that merits that? He's signed one piece of crap legislation that was in the pipe before he was even president, and proposed another, huge pork barrel crap bill that at least half of the country disagrees with.

The man is popular and loved for some reason. And it is not because of his intellect or his accomplishments, which is scary.

You forgot to mention that he signed a bill making his inauguration day a national holiday in his honor. Maybe people liked that.

It's because he is black, pure and simple, regardless as to if his minions admit it or not. In addition, he is a blank slate, on to which his followers can project thier hopes and wishes. Unable to think for themselves, because they have never been taught how, they long for someone, anyone, to think for them. Pummled by the broadcast media for eight tedious years about how horrible things are, they were set up for the first individual with a modicum of charisma to project soothing words: Hope...Change...change...change we can believe in...believe in...believe...believe...blank out...believe...

Hmm, well, I can't seem to edit my own post at the moment, so here's the fixed link re: people tearing up at Obama's inauguration:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100da...d-thumbs-obama/

And Maximus, that sounds like something else I'm familiar with. Maybe a creed or prayer? :P

Change... we can believe in... believe in... believe in...

It's because he is black, pure and simple, regardless as to if his minions admit it or not. In addition, he is a blank slate, on to which his followers can project thier hopes and wishes. Unable to think for themselves, because they have never been taught how, they long for someone, anyone, to think for them. Pummled by the broadcast media for eight tedious years about how horrible things are, they were set up for the first individual with a modicum of charisma to project soothing words: Hope...Change...change...change we can believe in...believe in...believe...believe...blank out...believe...

To not recognize the near deification of the man is to exhibit a cultural "tin ear" of the highest order. I mean, c'mon! :P

Deification? Hardly. People were excited, mostly because he was the first black president. Most presidents have a few months where a majority of the country is happy with him.

The worst parts of the Obamania are placed more with Hollywood, and those creepy pledge commercials.

Deification? Hardly. People were excited, mostly because he was the first black president. Most presidents have a few months where a majority of the country is happy with him.

The worst parts of the Obamania are placed more with Hollywood, and those creepy pledge commercials.

<off-topic>

Your use of the term "Obamania" makes my point. :P

Do I think the broad population in general views the man with sickening reverence? No. But it seems many do, and a lot of those are in positions where they can impose a modicum of influence over the culture. This is to what I refer.

</off-topic>

I can't say I know too much about this since I'm in Canada and I haven't personally seen anything I'd label as "deification", but my friend (who's into photography) sent me a link to a girl on Flickr who's only 14 and takes cool pictures I guess (they're pretty, I wouldn't know if they're actually good or not). Anyway I was looking through her collection and the caption for one of them around the date of the election said this:

i swear i cried when obama won. i am so happy. my life has been full of shitty presidents who have ruined the first years of my life, but i know he can turn that around. i was seriously ready to kill myself if mccain won, so i'm glad i don't have to do that.

I know she's only 14 and being dramatic, and her photos struck me as really mystical so she probably doesn't have a great grasp of reality, but still ... that's a pretty extreme attitude to have about politics as a child. What is this kid learning in school to think that any politician could have this sort of influence on her personally?? Why has someone not explained to her that politics is ... politics?? From what I can see I don't think she's unusual, either. This attitude is not normal, it's not "just excited".

<off-topic>

Your use of the term "Obamania" makes my point. :P

Do I think the broad population in general views the man with sickening reverence? No. But it seems many do, and a lot of those are in positions where they can impose a modicum of influence over the culture. This is to what I refer.

</off-topic>

These people that do hold him in this unnecessary high regard are mostly just douche bag actors and crony politicians.

It'll all come crashing down like a house of cards in the next 2 years.

These people that do hold him in this unnecessary high regard are mostly just douche bag actors and crony politicians.

It'll all come crashing down like a house of cards in the next 2 years.

And if it doesn't?

Obama as god is either a persons wet dream or worst nightmare at this point but the cult of personality that is being constructed by his handlers and encouraged by his administration is nothing less than frightening.

Let's take a good look at "cults of personality leaders" with a quick google search, Stalin, Mao, Anton LaVey and, yes, Obama all showed up in the first 3 pages. Obviously not an exhaustive list for sure (Hitler is conspicuous in his absence) but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

A Globe and Mail headline shows that our media have lost touch with reality just as much as the left leaning media in the US... It reads. "Canadian fans await their American idol" in reference to his Obamaness's visit in Feb...

Where is that puking smiley when you really need it?

Edited by Zip

A cult of personality doesn't become a real problem until it starts getting backed up by government (or government sanctioned) thuggery. Until then it's just something to laugh at.

Even then poeple will laugh about it, if they happen to be outside looking in.

Give it a few months and the rest of the world will regain it's usual anti-Americanism. Then they won't care whether Obama is black, gray, purple or mint-green with red polka dots. Then the cult of Obama will make America a laughinstock.