Objectivism Online Forum

Glenn Beck's hatred for Objectivism

Rate this topic

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at some point that conflict is going to come to a head...one cannot love Ayn Rand and mysticism in the same person without there being an explosion of differences. Some Conservatives manage to do it for a while -- such as Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck -- but so long as they ask what will fill the void then they will be off track. Man's spiritualism comes from his own mind, his own consciousness, and there is no need to be subservient to some higher power other than existence; though, of course, this isn't a personal savior, at least not in the Christian sense. A healthy respect for reason and reality is all a man needs, so it is not God or Country that we need to bow down to, but rather stand up proudly and individualistically with reason and reality on our side.

The contradiction is theirs, and it plays out over time, such that they don't give good reasons for individual rights. I still think the relationship between a Conservative and an Objectivist can only be one of ad hoc -- of particular things they want to accomplish; because the two cannot blend in the same mind, let alone be integrated.

Edited by Thomas M. Miovas Jr.

This clarifies for me the reason that the ARI considered the Republican Party the greater of two evils -- something that surprised me in the past. (But, considering Obama, I'm still not sure...)

I now have another bone to pick :- should a man of Yaron Brook's stature be lending Beck any credibility by appearing on his shows ?

I now have another bone to pick :- should a man of Yaron Brook's stature be lending Beck any credibility by appearing on his shows ?

Should he be writing articles in the New York Times? Should he appear on CNBC? Should he be speaking at panel discussions with libertarians and conservatives? Should he be speaking on conservative or libertarian television shows like Pajamas Media and Fox's Freedom Watch? Should he be speaking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPMjC9mq5Y? Should he just speak only at places where people strictly agree with him? Should he make everyone he speaks to sign a contact that states the must agree with him on everything before he will talk to them?

Edited by 2046

Well, he could clearly say that he disagrees with Beck. Not because he is morally obliged to do but because it would be easier for the casual listener / reader to find out where both stand. The goal should be to direct people to Objectivism and not to compromise to get some free air time.

Well, he could clearly say that he disagrees with Beck. Not because he is morally obliged to do but because it would be easier for the casual listener / reader to find out where both stand. The goal should be to direct people to Objectivism and not to compromise to get some free air time.

So you're saying he hasn't disagreed with Beck and he compromises with him?

What's this then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jT1c5UkNbc

Should he be writing articles in the New York Times? Should he appear on CNBC? Should he be speaking at panel discussions with libertarians and conservatives? Should he be speaking on conservative or libertarian television shows like Pajamas Media and Fox's Freedom Watch? Should he be speaking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPMjC9mq5Y? Should he just speak only at places where people strictly agree with him? Should he make everyone he speaks to sign a contact that states the must agree with him on everything before he will talk to them?

Up until now, I would agree with you. Spreading the message of Objectivism right under the noses of a mixed bag of media forums, all of whom have mixed premises one way or another, has been very effective for the ARI. Where else do they go, after all ?

The few Glenn Beck/ Dr Brook shows that I have viewed appeared relaxed affairs, with Beck being slightly patronising, but at least accomodating of Yaron Brook's incisive input.

However, now that he (Beck) has nailed his colours to the mast with this incredible rant, I will bet that the ARI are reconsidering the cost.

Edited by whYNOT

Up until now, I would agree with you. Spreading the message of Objectivism right under the noses of a mixed bag of media forums, all of whom have mixed premises one way or another, has been very effective for the ARI. Where else do they go, after all ?

The few Glenn Beck/ Dr Brook shows that I have viewed appeared relaxed affairs, with Beck being slightly patronising, but at least accomodating of Yaron Brook's incisive input.

However, now that he (Beck) has nailed his colours to the mast with this incredible rant, I will bet that the ARI are reconsidering the cost.

It's not like ARI didn't know what Beck's views were and they just found out in the "incredible rant" in the OP: Beck has held these beliefs since the beginning of his show and has expressed them. I have known about Beck's views, I can't talk for anyone else, but at least I have known about them much prior to his ranting in the OP's video.

I know that Dr. Brook has known Becks views as evidenced to the fact that in the video I posted we learn that Yaron has met in Glenn's office prior, as well has "having lunch together" whether they discussed their disagreements.

Why don't you people decide what it is you exactly want Yaron to say instead of what he says, then post it here, or send it to him; but I really don't understand this "lending credibility to" and "Talking to someone = sanction of X, Y, Z" comments. Is there any similarity between Yaron Brook and David Kelley?

Here's the issue: If someone is providing you with a forum, how wary should one be of the forum? I think the disagreements between Yaron and Glenn Beck are out there in the open, and Glenn is giving Yaron a big sanction, not so much the other way around. Me writing here is more the forum giving me a sanction than the forum owners / moderators getting a sanction from me. It goes both ways, of course, but Glenn Beck is the one with the contradiction. Yaron does not have to counter everything Glenn says, so long as he makes his position clear, which he has been doing. Basically, Glenn is being arbitrary to say that God wants us to be productive, and that God is pro-reason, and that God wants us to be free. The militant Islamics believe otherwise, and there is not way to resolve that issue, since there is no God or Allah, and no real facts to point to in one sides favor or the other. But so long as Glenn Beck and other Conservatives voice agreements with individual rights, I see no harm in Yaron being a guest. He is a guest, after all, and not a co-host. They certain don't agree all the way on what individual rights are; most Conservatives are against a whole host of individual rights, so they don't understand the concept. If Yaron or other Objectivists being on the show can help to clarify those points, it's all the better.

I think it was Peikoff (I could be wrong, I can't remember) who answered once a question about using existing movements / organizations to promote Objectivism. His answer was that one should create one's own media outlet / organization and not join existing movements.

I think it was Peikoff (I could be wrong, I can't remember) who answered once a question about using existing movements / organizations to promote Objectivism. His answer was that one should create one's own media outlet / organization and not join existing movements.

So Ayn Rand was contradicting Dr. Peikoff when she appeared on The Phil Donahue show?

What about when she wrote letters to the editors of The New York Times or other newspapers?

Edit: JE beat me to it - Was Dr. Peikoff contradicting himself when he went on The O'Reilly Factor or The Savage Nation on radio?

Edited by 2046

You seem to be able to realize Beck is wrong, even though Yaron Brook was on his show. So who are these morons who hold Brook in high esteem, but fail to distinguish between Objectivism and what Glen Beck is saying?

If they indeed exist, why should Yaron Brook change what shows he goes on, for their sake? If they don't exist, then what credibility is Yaron Brook giving Beck by going on his show?

Dr. Peikoff said one should create their own media outlet? How exactly am I gonna do that, should I just post on youtube, even if I have a chance to go on NBC and talk about Objectivism on the Leno show for 20 minutes?

Please, back that claim up with a quote that says anything about creating media outlets, or not going on TV Shows. Did Peikoff say that before or after he was on Bill O'Reilly?

Edited by Jake_Ellison

Of some relevance to this discussion was a memorable essay on rights by Ayn Rand ( except I don't quite(!) remember the book - it may be Capitalism, the Unknown Ideal ) in which she wrote that you have the right to say what you wish; but you don't have the right to demand my platform on which to say it.

Thomas' post on sanctions reminded me of this.

I am aware of the challenges and ramifications of wanting to find an organ and an outlet for one's 'message'. ( I did spend several years in journalism ).

The one-on-one format of these shows, Beck, Donahue, et al, might be an obviously effective vehicle for Objectivism --- but I am still uncomfortable about something. I think it has to do with esteem and value : there is something demeaning, I feel, about a man of higher worth having to communicate with one of lesser worth - whatever the potential outcome in terms of publicity may be.

Is there no one else who detects an element of utilitarianism, and sacrifice, in this ?

I think there is a difference between a single interview and being a regular guest on a show.

And that difference would be...?

Of some relevance to this discussion was a memorable essay on rights by Ayn Rand ( except I don't quite(!) remember the book - it may be Capitalism, the Unknown Ideal ) in which she wrote that you have the right to say what you wish; but you don't have the right to demand my platform on which to say it.

That actually is of zero relevance to this discussion, unless Beck threatened to kick Yaron off the show and Yaron tried to claim that his freedom of speech was being violated by Beck...?

The one-on-one format of these shows, Beck, Donahue, et al, might be an obviously effective vehicle for Objectivism --- but I am still uncomfortable about something. I think it has to do with esteem and value : there is something demeaning, I feel, about a man of higher worth having to communicate with one of lesser worth - whatever the potential outcome in terms of publicity may be.

Well what is it then? I have yet to be presented with an actual reason other than "There's a difference..." --blankout, and "I feel it's wrong, but..." --blankout.

I feel, about a man of higher worth having to communicate with one of lesser worth - whatever the potential outcome in terms of publicity may be.

What the hell does that even mean? It's Glenn Beck's show, not Yaron's, so Genn obviously does have greater utility in terms of the fact that he has a popular televesion show through which to speak and Yaron wants to do the speaking.

Is there no one else who detects an element of utilitarianism, and sacrifice, in this ?

No. I think you should explain your feelings.

Edited by 2046