Objectivism Online Forum

Call of Duty: MW-2

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

It was a good game, I think, worth a purchase. The whole "being a russian terrorist" thing was a storytelling device, to get you in the eyes of your enemies, to see how truly evil and heartless they are, to make you hate them that much more as you battle against them later in the game. It is effective, let me tell you.

I don't have it, though I definitely wanted to get it for PC (I'm a PC Gamer almost exclusively), but the PC version lacks a lot of key PC-specific functions:

* No dedicated servers = lag

* No developer console

* No modding capabilities

All of this adds up to a poor PC FPS experience and I'm not willing to buy it (let alone pay an $60 for a crippled game). I've heard it's awesome for 360 and PS3, but for PC, the average reader reviews give it a 2/10 (a bit over the top harsh, but it gets the point across).

For a pretty unbiased review: http://www.gamearena.com.au/pc/games/title....php?id=5033868

From the article:

The bottom line for Modern Warfare 2 on PC is it's yet another lesson that what works on console doesn't always work on PC. The fears many PC gamers had about the efficiency of Infinity Ward's matchmaking software have been realised - if you can't get a four bar connection, you're not going to have fun. Yes, you can probably get by on three bars, but is this what the biggest FPS franchise in gaming has been reduced to for PC gamers? Getting by?

Yeah, games meant for consoles rarely translate to PC. I stick with Strategy games for PC.

My brother has it on his computer and he was pretty pissed about some of the stuff but wanted to play singleplayer. The multiplayer is pretty awesome, regardless of those issues, and I haven't seen him lag ever either.

I have it. I haven't played any of the single player campaign yet, but the multiplayer is a blast! Unlike CoD4, there are no maps that I want to skip. The gameplay is essentially the same as for, but the new little touches make it nice. This one is my favorite of the series so far. XBox GamerTag - puppydaddy42.

The Spec Ops scenarios are also fun and challenging. The can be played solo or co-op with a friend.

My brother has it on his computer and he was pretty pissed about some of the stuff but wanted to play singleplayer. The multiplayer is pretty awesome, regardless of those issues, and I haven't seen him lag ever either.

Yea, I've read a bit about the PC port and that's what it plays like, a port (and from what I've heard a poor one at that), not a game designed for the PC. However, nothing but RAVE reviews for the console versions.

I have it. I haven't played any of the single player campaign yet, but the multiplayer is a blast! Unlike CoD4, there are no maps that I want to skip. The gameplay is essentially the same as for, but the new little touches make it nice. This one is my favorite of the series so far. XBox GamerTag - puppydaddy42.

The Spec Ops scenarios are also fun and challenging. The can be played solo or co-op with a friend.

Console?

I'm loving the game. I finished the single player campaign and I'm working on multiplayer now. It's been forever since I've done a shooter on the console though, so I'm not that good.

My XBL gamertag, if anyone wants it, is scrapt.

Yea, I've read a bit about the PC port and that's what it plays like, a port (and from what I've heard a poor one at that), not a game designed for the PC. However, nothing but RAVE reviews for the console versions.

I have played it and this is not true in my opinion. I honestly think those people just have a grudge and are over exaggerating. I have played all of the COD games at some point and this one seems perfectly fine to me. Even if you don't like what they took away/etc. I won't lie they did an excellent job with what they kept or put into it.

Edited by Jennifer

I've not heard a negative review yet. I'm doing some homework before I put it in, but I think this is a guaranteed winner if you're into the whole COD-style game.

True, very high production values. But I personally do not enjoy COD-style games, I feel like I'm playing 'Target Practice 2000'. I'm on 'team Halo', I think it's more dynamic and cerebral (winning battles almost seems like solving a puzzle).

Returned the game after beating it...

I have played it and this is not true in my opinion.

Fair enough. I haven't played any of the CoD games on PC so I was only going by thing I'd read on forums and in reviews. Granted, those are often not the most reliable sources of information.

I used to be a PC shooter player in other games, but since I started playing shooters on the XBox I haven't gone back. I'm not claiming one platform is superior to the other merely that I prefer how shooters play on the console. I also like the fact that, in general, cheating is more difficult on consoles and for the most part there is very little means for getting a hardware advantage on consoles. I think they provide a more level playing field (in general).

On a semi-related note, YAY MS!

COD is not about the single player campaign...Like at all to me. I might play it through some day when I have nothing to do.

Same here. Multiplayer FTW, though the Spec Ops are fun too. Even if I do get pwned frequently by 12 year old fanatics.

Same here. Multiplayer FTW, though the Spec Ops are fun too. Even if I do get pwned frequently by 12 year old fanatics.

Heh, still waiting for someone to co-op for Spec-Ops with. ANd yeah, there is something degrading about a child beating you at anything

To Ranger,

That's a story telling device that I think was summed up earlier quite well already.

Have you never played a GTA game or anything? And of course in COD: World At War you play as Communist, Russia and in Multiplayer you can assume the role of a Nazi or Japanese soldier.