Objectivism Online Forum

Who Would You Recommend For New Cabinet Positions?

Rate this topic

Who would you recommend for presidential cabinet positions? I've heard quite a bit of talk about Rudy Guliani, but I actually would recommend a less high profile person. I am thinking about Rep Christopher Cox of California. Rep Cox has shown incredible forsight and leadership strength. He was, and continues to be, the sole public figure warning the US against the motives of Communist China. As the number of apologists for China increase, Rep Cox's voice becomes even more essential. That alone should qualify him for a position on the cabinet.

But Rep Cox also has been a tireless supporter of military strength even years before 9/11. Read his bio here: http://cox.house.gov/html/bio.cfm.

Of course, the other reason we would want someone like Christopher Cox to have a higher profile position is that now is a good time to start thinking about the 2008 Presidential election. I would say that a Guiliani-Cox ticket would be something worth getting excited about. It would certainly be a lot better than a McCain ticket.

How much longer before Bush chooses his new cabinet? Are any Objectivists interested in starting up a pro-Cox email campaign to the White House? Do you think we might have any impact? This is clearly a time critical thing.

Donald Rumsfeld should be shuffled over to the State Department with Wolfowitz getting promoted to the Defense Secretary position. Perhaps Rep. Cox can serve as Rumsfeld's or Wolfowitz's number two man in one or the other department. Ashcroft should be replaced, preferably with Ted Olsen, but I think he wants out of government for a while if not for good. Tommy Thompson and some others are going to leave to make way for some of the southern democratic senators who retired like John Breaux, or maybe even Evan Bayh or Zell Miller (though I doubt this latter choice given some unfavourable historical connections Mr. Miller has). You're probably not going to see McCain, Giuliani, Schwarzenegger, etc. in the cabinet because they are all holding out for the Presidency, though I see no way the constitution will be altered in the required time to allow Arnold to run.

President Bush will also be the first person to appoint a new Fed chief since Ronald Reagan given that Mr. Greenspan has said his retirement will take effect upon the completion of his last term in 2006. This as well as 3-4 likely Supreme Court nominations are going to make Bush's second term full of important and lasting appointments that will effect the government and economy in various ways for years to come. Luckily, if he errs, especially in terms of the Supreme Court, the Senate Democrats can still block nominations through filibuster, however I expect the Republicans may actually force the Democrats to do a real filibuster for a change.

• 2 weeks later...