Objectivism Online Forum

Election Day Begins! Post Your Insights Here.

Rate this topic

Anything? Okay... for the rest of this week (after Tuesday) the question top-most on my mind will be: "should I re-position my nest egg in a different way based on: who won, what he said, how people reacted, how the market reacted?"

Edited by softwareNerd

Well, if Obama gets re-elected there might be one good thing that comes out of it... more sales of Atlas Shrugged because of it:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=27184

How come there wouldn't be more sales if Romney gets elected? Like Floyd Ferris, he can be the one that says "We are for free enterprise!" while being as dictatorial as possible.

How come there wouldn't be more sales if Romney gets elected? Like Floyd Ferris, he can be the one that says "We are for free enterprise!" while being as dictatorial as possible.

Sure, never said Romney/Ryan would hurt sales.

But we already have the sales figures from the last four years, and in another four years, when ObamaCare goes into full effect, etc, might continue the sales trend.

Just got back from voting Romney/Ryan.

Anyone have predictions as to who they think will win?

Craig Biddle has another blog post in regards to Romney:

http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/blog/index.php/2012/11/why-your-vote-for-romney-matters-swing-state-or-not/

Edited by intellectualammo

And if there is a administration change, I would think there will be a lot of the photoppy things where things are signed in a public forum. I wish a could make a suggestion to the transition team; that being they should look for a new federal pen supplier it seems lately that they only work for one letter's worth of ink.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

• Tonight has made Nate Silver's reputation for life.
  • As long as the GOP remains anti-immigrant, anti-abortion and anti-gay, they lose a small percentage of votes from people who are middle-of-the-parties on economics
  • If nut-jobs like Trump did not throw around birther conspiracy theories, there might be a better chance a few independents would think the GOP is not so kooky
  • The GOP will not chuck out the anti-immigrant, anti-abortion, anti-gay folk. Instead, the message they will take is not to go wishy-washy, but to nominate someone like Newt
  • Perhaps 2014 will see Bloomberg become Democrat and prepare for 2016
  • There's a pretty good chance that the U.S. enters a second (formally-defined) recession sometime in the next 4 years
  • Perhaps 2016 will be "businessman Bloomberg" vs. "ideologue Newt", with the GOP being thrashed and finally realizing the religious nut-jobs should be kept in the back rooms like other embarrassments

Incumbent Presidents need to screw up pretty monumentally to not get reelected. Obama performed poorly, but nowhere near as poorly as Carter or Bush Sr. and his "read my lips - then raise taxes anyway + here's a recession for you right before the elections " gag.

Edited by Nicky

http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/07/gary-johnson-pulls-one-million-votes-one

Sad to say, the best-qualified presidential candidate in the race, this year — Gary Johnson — pulled just a bit more than one million votes and around one percent of the vote. "Best qualified" I say, since a succesful and popular two-term governor strikes me as having a better resumé than a single-term governor or a half-term senator who put in a piss-poor performance in the White House. That said, Gary Johnson has pulled the most votes in raw numbers of any Libertarian presidential candidate and, as I drain a bottle of truly mediocre shiraz, just shy of the high-water 1.1 percentage of the vote won by Ed Clark in 1980.

As I check Google's election results (far more comprehensive than any offered by the traditional media, by the way), Johnson has 1,012,617 votes, and exactly one percent of the vote. That's in contrast to Barack Obama's 52,796,274 and 49.6 percent of the vote, and Mitt Romney's 52,197,635 and 49.0 percent of the vote.

You'll note that the victor, Mr. Obama, has so far won a plurality rather than a majority. If that holds, and we can attribute it even in part to Johnson's vote total, I'd say that's a victory of its own.

why should the GOP pay the price for the birther nonsense, it was started by hillary clinton back in 2008 or before.

I can't see how anyone can blame the anti immigration, anti abortion party. The democrats supported slavery, the KKK, including nominating them to the supreme court FDR, opposed every civil rights bill, from 1860-1960 and didn't care about blacks until exactly one minute after they effectively had a vote to court, then somehow try to rewrite history by now acting like there is a racist around every corner, and blaming the GOP. Where were they when they were needed! O I forgot, will of the majority excuses everything. Given this, if americans use god as a check and balance on human stupidity, its better than nothing. The human race hasn't progressed to the point where they can be principled enough without god to actually have the numbers to win an election.(not to mention releasing first degree murderers, and when they reoffend, continue the policy(dukakas), and letting communists run the govt for who knows how long.

I am so angry right now, my only consilation is that because the media and the fed are trying so hard to prevent disaster until after the election, obama will probably go down in history as the worst president ever, or at least he would if the dems won the house as well. Now the house republicans get to turn obama into a clinton who will then take credit for whatever good does happen. Apperantely, if the world voted, 82% would vote for obama. They say you can't fool all the people all of the time, well, were going to see how wrong they all are.

knowing the dems tradition of projection, (IE) saying the gop is the war party, I am willing to bet that the future disater will be averted/disguised by some kind of semi world war, wasn't that what happened the last time the world was so united behind far left policies. Too many unemployed, we can't renounce our philosophy,guess we have to kill them.

I am so angry right now,...
It shows. Take a deep breath and we can discuss this sanely next year. Maybe your God will help you calm down! Where was he yesterday when you needed a miracle?

The substantial point that you make amounts to this: you're pointing out the the Democrats have a lot of assholes too. Well, who said they weren't. The point I made was: if the GOP had a few less assholes, they would get another 1% of the vote and would win. It's a pretty simple statement of fact.

Edited by softwareNerd

It shows. Take a deep breath and we can discuss this sanely next year. Maybe your God will help you calm down! Where was he yesterday when you needed a miracle?

The substantial point that you make amounts to this: you're pointing out the the Democrats have a lot of assholes too. Well, who said they weren't. The point I made was: if the GOP had a few less assholes, they would get another 1% of the vote and would win. It's a pretty simple statement of fact.

Probably one fewer would've been enough. I think not having Todd Akin would've bought at least another 1%.

Edited by Nicky

<p>

The GOP will not chuck out the anti-immigrant, anti-abortion, anti-gay folk. Instead, the message they will take is not to go wishy-washy, but to nominate someone like Newt>

I was hoping that the Republicans would use the following four years to actually chuck these guys out. Why do you think they won't do this SoftwareNerd?

I was hoping that the Republicans would use the following four years to actually chuck these guys out. Why do you think they won't do this SoftwareNerd?
Well, the basic problem I ignored above is that the village idiots add more than a few percentage points to the GOP vote.

The GOP has done a deal with the village idiots and needs their votes to win. Divorce them and they may stay home. That means the GOP gets a few percentage points of votes while losing more than a few percentage from the religious right. If the religious right does not vote for the GOP, they will lose even worse than today.

Actually, today it is becoming inaccurate to even say that the GOP has "done a deal" with the religious right. Rather, the religious right are an important segment of the party.

A related point: many of the religious right folks see themselves as "tea-partiers". One often sees Democrats conveniently use "tea-party" to mean that village-idiot segment. People who are in the GOP and are fiscally conservative but socially liberal must come up with a new brand-name... something that makes their fiscal/economic focus clearer. of course it would be better still if they simply defined themselves by a focus on individual rights -- both economic and social -- but that is too much to hope for.

Edited by softwareNerd