Objectivism Online Forum

Apple Watch: Time Is Money Is Work Is Virtue

Rate this topic

I got my 2nd computer by trading a television set, a VCR and a stereo system for it. An IBM 386 running Windows 3.1 on DOS 6.2, nearly state of the art at the time. It didn't take long to add a modem and dial into a local BBS.

The BBS added an internet service. Essentially it was an msdos mode, allowing access to websites by typing a command line followed by an I.P. address.

IBM 486 compatible systems came along with Windows 95 and Internet Explorer. While I/O ports still needed to be configured, the overall experience became more streamlined. WWW addresses became available, along with some search engines making the internet more readily explorable. IRC chat and Newsgroups cropped up. The internet expanded to fill the time you were willing to allot it. The BBS offered a lifetime account, which I purchased and came out slightly ahead, before it went belly-up.

The Pentium chip came into being. Windows 98 added some more stability to Windows 95. I/O conflicts became almost a thing of the past. Zip drives, IOmega tape back-ups and writable CD's threatened the 3.5 floppy disc. Modems were replaced by DSL and Cable hookups. Palm Pilot and other personal data management devices were the rage. After subscribing to an IM service, shortly after, I dropped the IM, IRC and newsgroup usage. It was more beneficial to search for news-feeds and websites that provided filtered data catering to delineated interests.

I used to get in coffee house discussions with some Apple mavericks, one who eloquently put it: IBM users work for their computers, always configuring, troubleshooting and in essences, trying to get their computer to do what they wanted it to do. Windows 2000 demonstrated he was right. After installing it, suddenly I found myself with more time to explore and use the internet than be bogged down by troubleshooting episodes. I've never owned an Apple (although I've sat at the interface of a couple) but the point was eloquently put. I used to spend time troubleshooting friends and family's computers until Windows 2000 came along. Since then, the problems encountered have usually surpassed my expertise.

I've bought the hardware and software to construct every computer system I've owned since that 386. I rarely burn CD's any more. USB sticks work between computers and carry an extensive audio library to listen to in the vehicle. The Palm Pilot has fallen by the wayside, and I've opted for  handwritten journals to scribble my thoughts in at this time.

I'm not as interested in cutting (bleeding) edge technology any longer, but the title of this Apple Watch blog caught my radar. In all of the advancements of computer chips, the internet and peripheral gadgets, most of them have been more time efficient.

In reading the title, I thought of Benjamin Franklin's quote: "If you love life, love time, for time is what life is made of.". I'm not sure who to attribute the adage "Time is money.", but the article provides some historical context for it. "Money is work." - Francisco's speech on money ties money to the material form work can give it. The kicker is "Work is Virtue.". The action one takes to maintain or acquire a value, or, in short, the moral angle.

I haven't worn a watch in over a decade. Cell phones, the microwave oven, stove and coffee maker all have time-pieces embedded into them. The vehicle has one in the dash. Computers have them in the lower left hand corner. Yet, Time Is Money Is Work Is Virtue makes the best case I've seen in a while for a little blood letting.

I'd better fashion myself a little silver cross, and/or see if the Lone Ranger can spare me a silver bullet or two to ward of any potential vampires.