Objectivism Online Forum

Calling Out Everyone In The Area!

Rate this topic

Dagny

I actually JUST registered on this site. Fresh meat :-P

I live in Los Angeles. I have a place in the Santa Monica/Brentwood area (5 minutes from UCLA), and a place in El segundo (Where I grew up until the age of 18)

It's a pleasure to be here

-Brando

I just stumbled across Ayn Rand recently. I picked up a random book and read it; The Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. After reading the first book in the series, I needed to read the rest. They sucked me in from the very start. I found it amazing how I agreed with all of the beliefs and philosphy Goodkind put into his work. I then looked deeper into it and found that he based his work on Ayn Rand's philosophy.

That lead me to where I am now. I know very little about Objectivism, just that I agree with everything I've managed to read from my internet research

My next step is to buy all of Ayn Rand's books and read them. I plan on doing that very soon; I can't wait to learn more.

Have you heard of The Sword of Truth? After all of my browsing around this site and other Objectivist sites, I have seen nothing about Goodkind's work. I'm curious to learn what veterin Objectivists think of him.

What am I up to at the moment?

Can you be more specific? I'm up to a lot, hah :-P

So how did you learn about Ayn Rand, and at what level (for lack of a better word) are you at now when it comes to knowledge of Objectivism?

:)

-Brando

Have you heard of The Sword of Truth? After all of my browsing around this site and other Objectivist sites, I have seen nothing about Goodkind's work.
There are some Terry Goodkind fans here. You'll also find some discussion in the "Sword of Truth" sub-forum.

By "what are you up to?" I meant- are you going to college? or working? or something else entirely? To answer your questions:

I got an email from Fastweb about the Ayn Rand Institute scholarship. I didn't really want to enter it but was looking for an interesting book to read. The Fountainhead sparked my interest so I read that, loved it and followed up with Atlas Shrugged. This was last year February. Since then my knowledge about Objectivism has grown due to my reading the non-fiction books (Capitalism: the unknown Ideal and the Virtue of Selfishness) and, of course, this forum. I'll say I'm level 2 since this is my second year since having learned of Objectivism.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi neighbors!

Does everyone here wanna meet up and test the waters of starting up a community group?

Having UCLA, USC, UCI and ARI so close will give us an opportunity to go to all kinds of events and find like minded folks.

It seems a simple, reasonable donation will land us on ARI/ARC's website. I think I know of at least one other person not active in this forum who would be willing and able.

Perhaps an initial meeting within a month or so?

Hi neighbors!

Does everyone here wanna meet up and test the waters of starting up a community group? ...Perhaps an initial meeting within a month or so?

I might be interested. You can PM me and whoever else about the details of what you have in mind. I'd prefer meeting on Sunday (and not for irony's sake either!) I'm in the South County area by the way.