Objectivism Online Forum

Book 7

Rate this topic

Rogue

Interesting but, if that were the case, Dumbledore wouldn't have been so insistent that he return to the Dursley's home for one final summer.

A couple things bug me about the Horcruxes anyway. Firstly, if you split your soul into halves when you create a Horcrux, wouldn't each one be progressively smaller? If you make 6 Horcruxes, the final one should contain 1/64 of your soul, as should your body. Secondly, nothing has, thus far, explained how you make use of a Horcrux, once your body is destroyed.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting but, if that were the case, Dumbledore wouldn't have been so insistent that he return to the Dursley's home for one final summer.
Um, I'm not exactly sure...it's been a while. I think her protection only works while Harry's "home" is with his relatives. But I can't remember why. I think other members, perhaps non-contradictor, probably know why, or at least more than I do.

A couple things bug me about the Horcruxes anyway. Firstly, if you split your soul into halves when you create a Horcrux, wouldn't each one be progressively smaller? If you make 6 Horcruxes, the final one should contain 1/64 of your soul, as should your body. Secondly, nothing has, thus far, explained how you make use of a Horcrux, once your body is destroyed.
Yes, that is why it was so monstrous that Voldemort would want to split his that many times. I'm not entirely sure that one could "make use of a Horcrux" except for the fact that if a Horcrux is in existence, one cannot die. One would become "less than a spirit" like Voldy did after trying to curse Harry.

I'm going to need to refresh my memory if you're going to ask any harder questions. :worry:

Um, I'm not exactly sure...it's been a while. I think her protection only works while Harry's "home" is with his relatives. But I can't remember why. I think other members, perhaps non-contradictor, probably know why, or at least more than I do.

Hmm...that wasn't the impression I got of how it worked.

Yes, that is why it was so monstrous that Voldemort would want to split his that many times. I'm not entirely sure that one could "make use of a Horcrux" except for the fact that if a Horcrux is in existence, one cannot die. One would become "less than a spirit" like Voldy did after trying to curse Harry.

I'm going to need to refresh my memory if you're going to ask any harder questions. :worry:

It seems like somewhere in HBP, it says something about "1/7 of his soul," which would mean that all 7 pieces are equal. That makes sense what you said about using a Horcrux. That's kind of what I was thinking too.

In fact, I would not be surprised in the least if Snape will turn out to be the hero that no one knew about this whole time.

I highly doubt that we'd get a "heroic" view of Snape. Absolved, accepted even, but heroic? He's pragmatic, vindictive, and has most likely killed more people than just Dumbledore. Even if it was all on "orders," does it matter? Snape reminds me of the character in Mother Night. That's a problem I've been thinking about a lot. So what do you guys think? If someone is a spy and ends up having to do immoral things to remain a spy, is he a hero or a villian?

In any case, I don't think Snape particularly cares which side is morally right, as long as he's still alive and able to brew potions as he pleases in the end.

However, as we see everything from Harry's extrememly biased eyes, it's very hard to say.

I'm not a huge fan of the name. It sounds too immature. But maybe that's just me.

I'm not a huge fan either. It's too... blunt. All of the others were more neutral; we weren't sure what kind of book they would lead to. But Deathly Hallows? As my mother put it: "That doesn't sound good [for Harry]."

I highly doubt that we'd get a "heroic" view of Snape. Absolved, accepted even, but heroic? He's pragmatic, vindictive, and has most likely killed more people than just Dumbledore. Even if it was all on "orders," does it matter? Snape reminds me of the character in Mother Night. That's a problem I've been thinking about a lot. So what do you guys think? If someone is a spy and ends up having to do immoral things to remain a spy, is he a hero or a villian?

In any case, I don't think Snape particularly cares which side is morally right, as long as he's still alive and able to brew potions as he pleases in the end.

Dumbledore thought that Snape greatly regretted the death of Lily and James. And the only time we see him do something immoral, during the time frame of the books, is killing Dumbledore...and even that may turn out to be on Dumbledore's orders. I personally think that, after Harry, Snape will wind up being the hero of the series.

I'm not a huge fan either. It's too... blunt. All of the others were more neutral; we weren't sure what kind of book they would lead to. But Deathly Hallows? As my mother put it: "That doesn't sound good [for Harry]."

I actually like the name. Every book has gotten increasingly darker and more mature...a trend that I find to be enjoyable. What better way to see that the last book follows that trend than by naming it "Deathly Hallows?"

New prediction: Snape intentionally saw to it that Harry would get his Potions book, because he wanted to be sure he was prepared for what was coming.

I can't remember how Harry lost his original Potions book, though.

He never bought one. He assumed he wasn't taking NEWT potions, and so had to borrow one from the classroom stock until he could have his new copy delivered.

All the other titles have been of things or places or people. "Deathly Hallows" sounds like a place. Could it be that place behind the mysterious arch in the Department of Mysteries? Ought we be speculating on a return for Sirius? Or does anyone know if JK has definitively shot that one down (much like she did when she declared that Dumbledore was really dead and not coming back to life)?

-Q

I actually like the name. Every book has gotten increasingly darker and more mature...a trend that I find to be enjoyable. What better way to see that the last book follows that trend than by naming it "Deathly Hallows?"
Oh, I agree about the "darker and more mature" part. But I find Deathly Hallows to be kind of childish. A good title, in my opinion, has some sort of symbolic meaning hidden (or not so hidden) in the text. Like Atlas Shrugged. All the other HP books have some sort of meaning that you find out about after reading it. But "Deathly Hallows"??? It just doesn't work for me. But this is only my opinion. (;)) By all means, feel free to disagree.

He never bought one. He assumed he wasn't taking NEWT potions, and so had to borrow one from the classroom stock until he could have his new copy delivered.

All the other titles have been of things or places or people. "Deathly Hallows" sounds like a place. Could it be that place behind the mysterious arch in the Department of Mysteries? Ought we be speculating on a return for Sirius? Or does anyone know if JK has definitively shot that one down (much like she did when she declared that Dumbledore was really dead and not coming back to life)?

-Q

Yes, she has said that Sirius is dead. But she's also hinted that the mirror will somehow come into play.

New prediction: Snape intentionally saw to it that Harry would get his Potions book, because he wanted to be sure he was prepared for what was coming.

I would like some opinions on this prediction.

Before Book 6's titles was release several were copyrighted and websites registered. One title, was Harry Potter and Hogwart's Hallows. I have taken this to mean for Book 7 that the Dealthly Hallows are a place in or around Hogwarts.

Could you please cite your source for this information?

A large portion of the fandom thinks that there is a graveyard at Hogwarts based on a discussion Alphonso Cuaron had with JKR on the PoA set. Source: http://www.halfbloodprince.info/story/graveyard.cfm

So what you're saying makes sense. Plus, the idea of a final battle on the Hogwarts grounds is somewhat dramatic. Heh.

Yes, she has said that Sirius is dead. But she's also hinted that the mirror will somehow come into play.

Do you have a quote for the first statement? (I'm not arguing with this, as I don't think Sirius will come back as a living person, but I don't remember her ever spelling it out as bluntly as she did for Dumbledore.)

Warner Bros. have often registered decoy trademarks with the real Harry Potter titles, for example the trademarks

HARRY POTTER AND THE GREEN FLAME TORCH,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALLOWS OF HOGWARTS,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HOGSMEADE TOMB,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HOGWARTS HALLOWS

are some of those registered on 24th July 2003 under the alias “Seabottom Productions Limited”. They obviously do this because they need the title registered before it is announced, but HP fans do occasionally check the registrations in publically accessible databases, so registering just the real titles would be a bit of a giveaway.

This is from a cached Fan site that I did not originally have as my source. I first learned this information from MuggleNet.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:OSM1I...lient=firefox-a

Dumbledore thought that Snape greatly regretted the death of Lily and James. And the only time we see him do something immoral, during the time frame of the books, is killing Dumbledore...and even that may turn out to be on Dumbledore's orders. I personally think that, after Harry, Snape will wind up being the hero of the series.

Here's my take on it:

He may have regretted their deaths, but that doesn't absolve him of the responsibility. It'd be one thing if he weren't an occlumens, and could have expected to be killed for not telling Voldemort of the prophecy. But he was, and he could have hidden the information, had he wanted to. He didn't, because he didn't object to Voldemort murdering innocent people on principle, he was only remorseful after they turned out to be people he knew and (arguably) cared about. (I think he probably admired/liked/respected Lily). Dumbledore, of course, forgives him for this failing. But in my opinion Dumbledore has a lot of residual guilt from what became of Tom Riddle. He knew Tom was going to be dangerous when he visited him at the orphanage, and never really trusted him. He now thinks that if he had tried harder, been more trusting, more forgiving, than maybe Tom would have come around. (Now, personally I think that's rubbish; Tom wouldn't have listened to Dumbledore anyway. But I digress...)

Dumbledore had his second chance with Snape, who has had a similar background and similar failings. This time, he went the other direction and forgives. I doubt the question of whether Snape really deserved to be forgiven was a large factor in his choice. Certainly he is able to trust Snape to fight Voldemort; he ought to know from experience that Snape would not want to be Voldemort's slave forever. But there's a difference between trust and forgiveness. I think Snape has earned the first. Whether he will earn the second... Me, I won't be able to call him "hero" without serious reservations.

Of course, bear in mind that this is all based on my preferred character interpretations, and Merlin knows (Heh.) that there are a plethora of others out there. Only JKR really knows the psychology of her characters at the moment.

I can't remember how Harry lost his original Potions book, though.

Harry didn't lose it. He never had one, since he didn't know he was going to be taking potions that year and didn't buy one. He did eventually order one by mail, but that was after he had Snape's, so he switched the covers on them. I don't know what he did with the new one, but I don't think it's especially important.

With that in mind, I don't see how Snape could have known that Harry wouldn't have a book. Perhaps he overheard Harry telling McGonagall? On the other hand, it is pretty bizarre that Snape's old textbook just *happened* to be lying about in the Potions room. It was his former classroom, yes, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person to leave his personal effects where students could get to them. On another note entirely, it would be quite intriguing if Snape had the insight to know that Harry could learn from him in theory, just not in person. I'll have to read the book again if I want to pick this apart any further, though. I hadn't given this idea much thought. The Sectumsempra scene, in particular, should give some clues.

Warner Bros. have often registered decoy trademarks with the real Harry Potter titles, for example the trademarks

HARRY POTTER AND THE GREEN FLAME TORCH,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALLOWS OF HOGWARTS,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HOGSMEADE TOMB,

HARRY POTTER AND THE HOGWARTS HALLOWS

are some of those registered on 24th July 2003 under the alias “Seabottom Productions Limited”. They obviously do this because they need the title registered before it is announced, but HP fans do occasionally check the registrations in publically accessible databases, so registering just the real titles would be a bit of a giveaway.

This is from a cached Fan site that I did not originally have as my source. I first learned this information from MuggleNet.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:OSM1I...lient=firefox-a

Thanks very much. This is very interesting, because at the time, the only title rumor I read about was "Harry Potter and the Green Flame Torch." It strikes me as odd that the other more intriguing titles wouldn't have gotten circulated more. There was also "Harry Potter and the Pillar of Storgé," but I have no idea where that came from. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/books/01...artner=homepage

The release date has been finalized for July 21, 2007!!!

Alright! Here is the announcement on J. K. Rowling's official site!

Thanks for the info Mimpy! This brings me to ask a question...how does one make sure that they get a copy of the book on that day? I'm not at all familiar with how to go about doing this.

Thanks for the info Mimpy! This brings me to ask a question...how does one make sure that they get a copy of the book on that day? I'm not at all familiar with how to go about doing this.

If you want it at midnight, I recommend pre-ordering from Borders. If they follow the same pattern as the last release, you technically can't get a book from Borders of Barnes+Noble unless you pre-order. If you call up a local store (if there's one near you) they should be able to reserve a copy for you.

If you're not looking to get it right at midnight, just the day of, I recommend ordering through Amazon, or going to a walmart or grocery store. A 24-hour Walmart might be a good bet for getting one at midnight, too, but I don't know. I go to Borders.

Hope that helps. :)

Alright! Here is the announcement on J. K. Rowling's official site!

non-contradictor said that you can't buy it from Border's or B&N unless you pre-order. That certainly wasn't the case for me...I bought my copy at B&N right after midnight.

The store was open way past its regular hours and was having a party for anyone and everyone who wanted to celebrate the release at midnight. I went just to see the fun! I hadn't pre-ordered, but some of the people had and they got their books first. I got mine around 1 in the morning, so that wasn't too bad. They had plenty of copies for everyone. If you're really into HP, I'd suggest a release party like the one I attended. At least 500 people were there...lots of food, drinks, and good times! :)

Also, many non-bookstores carry the novel, as well, and they usually don't get sold out and are much cheaper, too. I remember seeing the last book at Best Buy the day it was released, at least 25% less expensive than what it was at bookstores. So check that out, too!

non-contradictor said that you can't buy it from Border's or B&N unless you pre-order. That certainly wasn't the case for me...I bought my copy at B&N right after midnight.

I phrased that badly. What I meant was that you're not guaranteed a copy of the book unless you pre-order.

I don't have much experience with attempting to get one without a pre-order. With OotP, I didn't have one, but I ended up getting the deluxe edition and those weren't in as high demand, so it didn't matter.

At Borders, at least, you don't have to pay to pre-order, so there's really no reason not to do so, if you really want one at midnight.

Also, I agree that release parties are a lot of fun. I went with my friends for HBP, and then we went home and ate chocholate frogs and drank cream soda (butterbeer!) while reading our books. Finished at 8 AM. Hehehe. Dunno if I'll do that with this one, though, as it's the last. Might be best not to read the ending in a sleep-deprived stupor. :)

If you want it at midnight, I recommend pre-ordering from Borders.

I just pre-ordered at Borders! They said that they are having an event (read: party!!) on that night. I thank you and Mimpy for the information! Now, I will be putting a request in to have the night of the release off of work!

Dunno if I'll do that with this one, though, as it's the last. Might be best not to read the ending in a sleep-deprived stupor. :D

Hell, I've been doing that with all of them so far! :)

Also, many non-bookstores carry the novel, as well, and they usually don't get sold out and are much cheaper, too. I remember seeing the last book at Best Buy the day it was released, at least 25% less expensive than what it was at bookstores. So check that out, too!

I'm getting a 40% discount at Borders! Not sure what the other places will have them priced at...

If you're really into HP, I'd suggest a release party like the one I attended. At least 500 people were there...lots of food, drinks, and good times! :)

Wow! Big turnout! I wonder what this ones going to be like! I can't wait!

Hell, I've been doing that with all of them so far! :)

Heh. I've only done it with OotP and HBP. The others I wasn't really familiar enough with the general fandom to know about the releases. And they only started with GoF anyway. Still, as this is the last one, I'd like to make it, um, last. :)

My family's been toying with the idea of going to London in time with the release. We've wanted to go anyway, and I think it would be fun to see what the releases are like in the UK.

Still, as this is the last one, I'd like to make it, um, last. :)

Well, I kinda want to make this series last...I just started reading HP only about a week ago and I'm already in GoF(Book 4). Moose went through them super fast as well...it's like my eyes are riding a Firebolt broomstick!! I'm flying through these! Have you read any good books about JKR? I want to know more about her.

So there were events for book 4, 5, 6, and now 7 and not for the others?

Edited by intellectualammo

The first three were published in rather quick succession, and without much chance for planning elaborate parties. It also wasn't clear in the beginning how they would be received, and even if they were expected to be popular, no one, I think, would have predicted this. It's an interesting phenomenon, the popularity of the series.

At least for HBP, Barnes & Noble had a company-wide policy of not taking pre-orders for midnight pickup. You could pre-order for home delivery on the day of the release.

I got my HBP by showing up at Barnes & Noble at noon with a folding chair. Where I was, noon was early enough to be first in line. I ended up giving seven interviews to local news media.

The release parties can be fun if you bring a friend (or a child). They're geared towards younger readers, but often there's a costume contest with both child and adult divisions and some nice prizes.

-Q