Objectivism Online Forum

:)

Rate this topic

I read "The Fountainhead" when I was fourteen. I was exposed to the novel through my uncle. He is a strong Objectivist. I started reading it because I love to read. I kept reading because I found that Ayn Rand had the words to express what I'd always felt about the world.

I'm seventeen now and I can't imagine people thinking in a non-Objectivist fashion. It baffles my mind that people still believe in God. I have a hard time tolerating people because I know that they don't think for themselves. I know this because they believe in God. And when I give them my argument as to why there is no proof of a higher power, they can't refute what I say, but they continue to believe blindly that God will save them anyway. So I've given up. I don't think that people can change unless they want to, no matter how much anyone tries to convince them.

So that's why I'm here. My mind needs stimulation because there is no point arguing with people who have the entirely wrong moral premise. I'm a senior in high school and can't wait for college. Hopefully there I will find some engaging people who can appreciate the world as I do. Until then, however, I am excited to get to know the people on this forum....because I bet you all have a lot to offer and I've got a lot to give back in return. :o

M

Edited by Mimpy

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Any plans on what you want to study in college?

It's true people can only change if they want to. But it's also true that people have to think in order to survive. I was Xian/deist when I was 17, and I'm glad for the encounters I had with atheists at the time. Even though none were Objectivists, and I didn't become an atheist until I discovered and began to understand Objectivism, I did think about the arguments I heard against God--and I do think they helped move me in the rational direction. Not that the same would apply to anyone you know, but it does happen sometimes. : )

Edited by Bold Standard

I want to be a surgeon. So I think I'm going to end up majoring in biology. And I'd like to minor in philosophy!

Welcome to the forum!

My son is 18 and he wants to go into medicine. He's not sure yet what specialty, but he's going to be majoring in BioChem or Pre-Med. So far he's been accepted by Pitt Univ, Christopher Newport and Old Dominion. We should hear from VA Tech around the 15th of this month.

Getting an acceptance letter is one of the best feelings possible.

And they typically are very obvious too! All the ones my son received so far were in big envelopes with Congratulations in big letters on the front (and the University name/logo prominently displayed). This makes me think that the letters sent to people who do not get accepted may be equally obvious. :)

I have somewhat of a strange story in this regard, about getting into MIT (even though I didn't apply there) due to a technical problem at their end, but I don't want to sidetrack this thread too much.

You got into MIT without applying there? Dang, you must be good! Do share! :lol:

Edited by Mimpy

Only by the absence of fanfare. They're not mean about it.

No, I didn't mean to imply they were mean. Rather, I mean they get a letter that does not have CONGRATULATIONS on the front of it. That kind of obvious...

You got into MIT without applying there? Dang, you must be good! Do share! :lol:

I attended an information session on campus, and put my name down on a card to show that I was interested in applying. Then I heard about their core curriculum (2 physics, 2 above-calculus math courses, 1 chemistry, 1 biology) and I knew it wasn't for me. Anyway, when admissions time came around, I got a thick package from MIT, thinking "Oh, they're just sending me more information." I opened the package, and the first thing I saw was their financial aid offer saying (paraphrasing from memory) "Congratulations! Now that you've been accepted to MIT, you might want to consider our generous financial aid offers..."

Apparently, according to my college counselor, it was some kind of mix-up on their end (I don't know of what variety). I wonder what would have happened if I had accepted the offer.

I attended an information session on campus, and put my name down on a card to show that I was interested in applying. Then I heard about their core curriculum (2 physics, 2 above-calculus math courses, 1 chemistry, 1 biology) and I knew it wasn't for me. Anyway, when admissions time came around, I got a thick package from MIT, thinking "Oh, they're just sending me more information." I opened the package, and the first thing I saw was their financial aid offer saying (paraphrasing from memory) "Congratulations! Now that you've been accepted to MIT, you might want to consider our generous financial aid offers..."

Apparently, according to my college counselor, it was some kind of mix-up on their end (I don't know of what variety). I wonder what would have happened if I had accepted the offer.

That's crazy!! Well, I see from your profile that you're at Duke now, which is just as great as MIT. I applied to Duke, too. Let's see if it works out for me! :lol: