Objectivism Online Forum

I already know the answer but…

Rate this topic

happiness

The industry leader in interventional orthopedics (a new form of medicine that uses biologics instead of surgery to treat orthopedic problems) has a corporate program where they partner with self-insured employers to cover their services, which are otherwise cash only. I want to find an employer that provides this as a benefit, but the list of companies is not public.

The only way to find out if an employer provides this benefit is to submit an inquiry through the medical company’s website. You include your name, phone number, email, and employer, and they get back to you and let you know if you are covered. So in theory it would be possible to use fake names and contact information to find out which large, self-insured employers partners with them. But it seems that this word, in fact, be highly unethical, and therefore not the best way to go—correct?

The logistics of trying to work around this such as a red flag that might get raise when a flood of inquiries come in with the same phone number, or if the expectation that the email is hosted by a company based email account. 

As to seeking out self-insured employers, it does not help their bottom line to have a prospective employee seeking them out for a benefit the employee is knowingly seeking to use. 

The above may have crossed your mind while framing your question as you did, or may help flesh what you already suspect a little more.

I suspect that there is a way to get the list, it really depends on why they said you couldn't. Most of the time, with medical things like this, I think people are willing to make exceptions - if you explain your situation to the right person. I don't think it would be wrong to submit inquiries with your name and phone number and what actually would be a potential employer. But how would you do that, get a list of every company in the world that meet a certain criteria, and submit an inquiry with each and every one of those? That would be very inefficient. 

2 hours ago, dream_weaver said:

The logistics of trying to work around this such as a red flag that might get raise when a flood of inquiries come in with the same phone number, or if the expectation that the email is hosted by a company based email account. 

As to seeking out self-insured employers, it does not help their bottom line to have a prospective employee seeking them out for a benefit the employee is knowingly seeking to use. 

The above may have crossed your mind while framing your question as you did, or may help flesh what you already suspect a little more.

It would be fake names, free email addresses, and real, unique phone numbers. It’s the company’s choice to respond or not.

Is seeking a job for this specific benefit different from seeking a job for any other benefit or form of compensation?

I do not understand how self funded insurance works, but my understanding is that companies are somehow insured for their employees’ medical expenses.

I still, it is a form of lying.

Self-funded insurance is a company dabbling in the insurance business. A set of policies are set up with to manage payouts for medical payments. 

Employees can be offered a set of options to choose from with different co-pays and deductibles.

If the law of averages work out, the company makes, or hopefully breaks even on the venture. If not, the company could be on the hook for some additional expanses on the corporate profit/loss sheet.