Objectivism Online Forum

What is your favorite comedy?

Rate this topic

Can't believe I forgot about British comedies...I love Monty's Life of Brian and Keeping Up Appearances. Movies...Wayne's World, Blazing Saddles, and Hot Shots. I want to add another tv show...VH1's I love the 80's has all these comedians/personalities that poke fun of what was stylish and "in" back then.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Comedy movie has to be The Life Aquatic. Im a very big fan of dry humor and the way that movie was presented I find funny every time I watch and think about it.

"Hi im Ned Plimpton... Ok man"

My favorite Comedy Television show has to be Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

"Oh no, if Lois finds out she will hit me with the frying pan... Thats why im going to drink this frying pan antidote."

Wow I totally forgot about that show! That's how all saw all the best worst old films. I'm going to have to rent that now.

I have not even heard of this one, I think this is another show that has not made it to my distant shores. Could someone tell me a little about it? It sounds rather interesting...

I have not even heard of this one, I think this is another show that has not made it to my distant shores. Could someone tell me a little about it? It sounds rather interesting...

The basic premise is that a guy and two robots are stuck in space on a ship. Every week they are sent a bad movie, and some of them are REALLY bad, as part of an experiment conducted by a couple other guys back on earth. As they (and we) watch the movie, they make humorous comments. Most of the time the humor is very intelligent, and the variety of their references is quite vast.

They also take a number of short films, referred to as "shorts", and do the same thing. These short films are generally of the ilk that kids were subjected to in school during the 50's, 60's and 70's (largely public service propaganda). My all time favorite short is one called "A Date with the Family". The movie is about the do's and dont's of the "ideal" way to end your day with your family at supper time. The comments made by the peanut gallery in this one focus largely on family dysfunction, and the suppression of individuality, with heavy emphasis on the irony between what we are seeing from our "ideal" family, and what might really be going on in their minds. I think many folks who can relate to being a part of a dysfunctional family would laugh their behinds off at this one.

In my mind, the creators/writers of this show are comic geniuses.

Several of the movies and shorts are available on DVD.

The basic premise is that a guy and two robots are stuck in space on a ship. Every week they are sent a bad movie, and some of them are REALLY bad, as part of an experiment conducted by a couple other guys back on earth. As they (and we) watch the movie, they make humorous comments. Most of the time the humor is very intelligent, and the variety of their references is quite vast.

They also take a number of short films, referred to as "shorts", and do the same thing. These short films are generally of the ilk that kids were subjected to in school during the 50's, 60's and 70's (largely public service propaganda). My all time favorite short is one called "A Date with the Family". The movie is about the do's and dont's of the "ideal" way to end your day with your family at supper time. The comments made by the peanut gallery in this one focus largely on family dysfunction, and the suppression of individuality, with heavy emphasis on the irony between what we are seeing from our "ideal" family, and what might really be going on in their minds. I think many folks who can relate to being a part of a dysfunctional family would laugh their behinds off at this one.

:thumbsup: This is brilliant! I laughed my head off just reading this. I have to find out how to get this stuff in Germany. Praise the inventor of worldwide internet credit card orders!

Hmm, it sounds rather interesting. Perhaps I can find it on DVD... thanks for the information.

Hmm, it sounds rather interesting. Perhaps I can find it on DVD... thanks for the information.

If you like those you might also check out the movie Atomic Cafe. While it essentially an anti-nuke picture but is composed of silly short films from the cold war about Tuck Duck and Cover, doing things like putting a paper bag over your head to survive a nuke attack, and all the nuts that managed to make news trailers in the movies at the time. Some of the civil defense movies were downright ridiculous how wrong they were.

If you like those you might also check out the movie Atomic Cafe. While it essentially an anti-nuke picture but is composed of silly short films from the cold war about Tuck Duck and Cover, doing things like putting a paper bag over your head to survive a nuke attack, and all the nuts that managed to make news trailers in the movies at the time. Some of the civil defense movies were downright ridiculous how wrong they were.

Oh, this does sound interesting. Thanks for another good tip.

So far I have only found an episdoe guide for Mystery Science Theatre... but i will keep searching.

So far I have only found an episdoe guide for Mystery Science Theatre... but i will keep searching.

I'm not sure if they make anything other than Region 1 DVD's, but here's some on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006RJC...&s=dvd&v=glance

I'm not sure if they make anything other than Region 1 DVD's, but here's some on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006RJC...&s=dvd&v=glance

That should not be a problem, my DVD player plays all regions apparently....

The greatest comedy ever written is Ayn Rand's short story "Good Copy." When a small town reporter finds no news to write about, he creates his own. The results are utterly hilarious -- but of course completely grounded a rational ethic. Not Aristophanes, not Molière, not Twain, not even O. Henry has ever managed to pen such life-affirming mirth.

This story alone makes Ayn Rand the greatest comic writer of all time.

[Warning: I think Lance is a troll. - GC]

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

The greatest comedy ever written is Ayn Rand's short story "Good Copy." When a small town reporter finds no news to write about, he creates his own. The results are utterly hilarious -- but of course completely grounded a rational ethic. Not Aristophanes, not Molière, not Twain, not even O. Henry has ever managed to pen such life-affirming mirth.

Really? You thought it was that funny? While I thought this was a great story, the conflict was excellent and the feeling very positive....I don't remember actually thinking it was hilarious. I haven't read this story in a while mind you. What parts in particular (if you don't mind; this may be a topic for a different thread) did you find funny?

OK here we go:

M*A*S*H

Seinfeld

Cheers

Frasier

Simpsons

Whose Line Is It Anyway

Monty Python

Fawlty Towers

Drew Carey

Black Adder (Mainly the fourth season)

Spin City

Jeeves & Wooster

Allo Allo

Dilbert

There are probably others as well, but I can't think of them now

Thats a decent list overall. But what on earth do you see in Spin City? I have only seen a few episodes of this, but it did not do anything for me.

[Warning: I think Lance is a troll. - GC]

This post has been edited by GreedyCapitalist:

Lance:

GreedyCapitalist is the owner of this forum, so you had better take this seriously. If you are not a troll and do not want to be mistaken for one, then I have two suggestions:

1. Your expressions of enthusiasm for Ayn Rand seem a little "over the top". This makes us suspect that you are insincere. Tone it down.

2. When you make a statement about Ayn Rand's beliefs or preferences (as you did concerning Shakespeare in another thread), you should back it up with a quotation and a citation (give the book or article and a page number). Otherwise, your message may get sent to the trash can; and you may be suspected of misrepresenting her views.

Really? You thought it was that funny? While I thought this was a great story, the conflict was excellent and the feeling very positive....I don't remember actually thinking it was hilarious. I haven't read this story in a while mind you. What parts in particular (if you don't mind; this may be a topic for a different thread) did you find funny?

The entire story was funny. It was full of situational irony and the surprise of unintended consequences. But as a rational and independent person, you shouldn't take my work for it. Read it again. If you don't find it laugh-out-loud hilarious, you and I obviously don't share the same sense of life.

Well in book form I think catch 22 was the funniest I've ever read(and i'm only about 10 pages into it. The bit about his pain not being jaundice is priceless)

The funniest movie i've ever seen is either big daddy or happy gilmore. I love adam sandler.

The funniest TV show has got to be family guy.

The funniest stand up comedian is george carlin. His way of explaining what he thinks about god and prositition is priceless. (God - "Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! .... But he loves you!)

The funniest stand up comedian is george carlin. His way of explaining what he thinks about god and prositition is priceless. (God - "Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! .... But he loves you!)

I think George Carlin is OK. He can be a little too...whiny sometimes and a little too grumpy for my liking. OK, its just his act perhaps, but it still is not quite my style. Having said that he does have some good stuff, like when he pokes copious holes in things like religions. His one about the Ten Commandments was quite good.

• 3 weeks later...