Objectivism Online Forum

About the Russian aggression of Ukraine

Rate this topic

AlexL

• 4 weeks later...

Saddam Hussein has bested Vladimir Putin in Dictator Elections

VP came out of the election in Russia just ended with only 87%.

SH in 2002 got 100% with all 11,445,638 registered voters turning out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have been learning a great deal from the Netflix documentary

Turning Point – The Bomb and the Cold War,

even in the parts we had lived through.

26 minutes ago, AlexL said:

Yes, how is he and what follows from it?

A wikipedia entry shows a current poll with Zelenskyy at 23.7% and his former Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces and current Amb to the UK at 41.4 % , but with the extension of martial law it doesn't look like there will be an election this March when it was constitutionally mandated to take place. So for now polling really isn't a 'thing' , yeah ?

12 minutes ago, tadmjones said:
41 minutes ago, AlexL said:

Yes, how is he and what follows from it?

A wikipedia entry shows a current poll with ...

I am still waiting for a response to my second question - "what does follow from the poll?"

4 minutes ago, AlexL said:

I am still waiting for a response to my second question - "what does follow from the poll?"

What follows is Zelenskyy is currently president for life, or for as long as martial law is not rescinded. So elections do not matter at this time in the Ukraine, if they ever did, really.

I inferred from Stephen's post that he was criticizing the 'undemocratic' nature of dictatorships. By citing official statistics from regimes that charade about elections. I suspect too , that he is throwing shade at what he thinks Trump supporters believe about our recent and present cycle(s). Surely he must realize that Biden is a titular President, his own AG finds him incompetent to stand trial.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tadmjones said:

What follows is Zelenskyy is currently president for life...

This does not follow.

... or for as long as martial law is not rescinded.

Yes, this does follow.

A wikipedia entry shows a current poll with Zelenskyy at 23.7%

Can you please post the link? And verify the Wiki's references for this number? I found recent poll numbers which are more than double of yours. 

I found your number - 23.7% - in these somewhat peculiar publications : Sputnik Afrique, TASS, Iran Front Page, RT International.

I inferred from Stephen's post [...] Trump [...] Biden [...]

Off topic.

Edited by AlexL

What follows is Zelenskyy is currently president for life, or for as long as martial law is not rescinded. So elections do not matter at this time in the Ukraine, if they ever did, really.

The very slight, moral as well as political, cultural, distinctions between Ukraine and Russia is the main reason I've been a peacenik about "the war that ought not have happened".

Abuses on both sides (with Ukraine: the NON-democratic change of regime, the cultural-political  repression of Russian-Ukrainians and subsequent civil war, the stifling and imprisonment of dissenters, banning of the Russian Orthodox Church, breaking negotiated deals and so on) have me umimpressed. 

For all that, for reasons one can only infer, the West applauded their poster child Z, lent the conflict its sanction and upheld Ukraine to be the Savior of Europe--at Ukraine's predictably terrible cost--and vilified Russia alone.

Who would you prefer to "go to bat for" (at massive expense and unthinkable potential risks) ? Answer: neither.

Edited by whYNOT

22 minutes ago, AlexL said:

This does not follow.

Yes, this does follow.

Can you please post the link? And verify the Wiki's references for this number? I found recent poll numbers which are more than double of yours. 

I found your number - 23.7% - in these somewhat peculiar publications : Sputnik Afrique, TASS, Iran Front Page, RT International.

Off topic.

The numbers on wiki are from SOCIS which looks like an Ukrainian org, and by double do you mean Z has 46 and the other guy has 80 ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Ukrainian_presidential_election

And it was the 'topic' of my comment as I explained.

Edited by tadmjones

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tadmjones said:

The numbers on wiki are from SOCIS

Thank you for the Wiki link.

My numbers are from a popularity/trust poll by the KIIS Institute "conducted during the period of Zaluzhnyi’s dismissal saga: from Feb. 5 to 10". Quote:

"for the period of Feb. 5-10, 64% trusted Mr. Zelenskyy, but at the end of this period, the figure was 60%" [these were the numbers of which I said they are more than twice as big as yours (23.7%)]

OTOH, the poll you are quoting, by SOCIS, conducted between February 22 to March 1, is a quite different one - it is a much broader one, including for (simulated) presidential elections. Your number - 23.7% - measures the distribution of votes for the first round of presidential elections with 10+ candidates.

6 hours ago, tadmjones said:

So for now polling really isn't a 'thing' , yeah ?

No, there is no way to hold any kind of elections during war/martial law. For details see Martial law in Ukraine. Besides, the respective legislation was adopted long before Zelensky became president.😁

The SOCIS poll shows that about 66% are against holding presidential elections during this war. 

According to the KIIS poll, "only 15% of respondents believe a presidential election should go forward".

Edited by AlexL

46 minutes ago, tadmjones said:

I wasn’t implying Z orchestrated the legislation he authorized. Quizzical face

I wasn't implying that you were implying this.

Besides, there was a lot more in my comment...

12 minutes ago, AlexL said:

The more was arbitrary claptrap as there will be no election , as ordered by Z. Unless assuming he sues for peace and rescinds martial law and then I guess steps down and the office is vacated for six months ? Ukrainian constitutional law is a little fuzzy for me, but please don’t take that as opportunity to explain to me the intricacies therein , as I view the situation as more of a Slavic civil war spurned on by those bent on weakening Russia.

I spent more than an hour composing a post for y'all, summarizing episode 8 "Moscow Will Not Be Silent", which covers from the Russian baton passing from Yeltsin to Putin up to Putin's attack on Ukraine. I think posters and readers here would really appreciate the detail and integration attained in this Netflix documentary. But I goofed, apparently by not clicking "Submit Reply" and just logged out. I don't have time to recompose that long post, to which I appended remark on poking fun at dictator elections, and since the Biden-Trump contest was mentioned, elaborated on what I thought about that off-topic issue as it relates to preservation of our constitutional democratic republic. I've got a minute to at least repeat the last sentence of that long, long post now gone to wherever they go when you fail to actually post them:

After Obama was elected, in '08 or '12, some commenter at Rebirth of Reason said there would be no more US elections. Wrong. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tadmjones said:
8 hours ago, AlexL said:

The more was arbitrary claptrap as there will be no election , as ordered by Z.

1. Missing are your apologies for putting words in my mouth - about what I was allegedly implying.

2. My "arbitrary claptrap" was a comment to your claims about poll results in case of - purely hypothetical - elections. 

3. It was not Zelensky who ordered "no-elections". But you have no means of knowing it, because facts ("intricacies") are not your thing.

Ukrainian constitutional law is a little fuzzy for me

This explains that.

I view the situation as more of a Slavic civil war spurned on by those bent on weakening Russia.

This does not make it so. Even Putin repeating it incessantly doesn't make it so.

Edited by AlexL
Clarity

•  
  • Author
10 hours ago, tadmjones said:
11 hours ago, AlexL said:

The more was arbitrary claptrap as there will be no election , as ordered by Z.

Expand  

"1. Missing are your apologies for putting words in my mouth - about what I was allegedly implying.

Besides, the respective legislation was adopted long before Zelensky became president.😁"

Allegedly ? An objective reading would see that comment as an unsolicited 'off topic' remark. lol face

Besides, I was just making a declarative statement about my implication or lack thereof, it wasn't an explicit accusation. You know how implication and inference work, yeah ? Perhaps even better than the level of my legal understanding of Ukrainian constitutional law.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, tadmjones said:

Allegedly ? An objective reading would see that comment as an unsolicited 'off topic' remark. lol face

Would see? Certainly not, maybe only suspect...

And nothing, of course, about the fact that it was you who unsolicitedly brought the 'off topic' subject😁 of a poll, a subject that you called "arbitrary claptrap" when I followed up.

Not to mention other evasions...

Edited by AlexL

3 hours ago, AlexL said:

Would see? Certainly not, maybe only suspect...

"No, there is no way to hold any kind of elections during war/martial law. For details see Martial law in Ukraine. Besides, the respective legislation was adopted long before Zelensky became president.😁"

"Besides" according to Oxford dictionary means in addition to or apart from. How was it you used the word as preamble to the legislation's origin? I inferred you implied I thought or intimated that Z was the cause of the legislation, I just couldn't fathom another reason on your part to add this.

Looking forward to hearing your reasoning on this particular example of syntax.

Edited by tadmjones