Objectivism Online Forum

Russian invasion of Ukraine/Belief of Mainstream Media Narrative

Rate this topic

On 8/2/2022 at 2:50 AM, whYNOT said:

Fair enough, your points are worthwhile noting.

But apparently they are not worthwhile being answered – refuted or else agreed with.

Instead, you go for whataboutism (also called “But you are lynching Negroes!”) : the subject being the objectivity of RT’s presentation of RAND Corporation Report, you change the subject with a counter-accusation:

Look closer, and the Rand Corp report has inbuilt bias

And then going on a tangent…

I wonder if this - inappropriate - behavior has something to do with the fact that a week ago you were in the "Senior Member" group, now you are a „Regular”…

On 8/4/2022 at 8:44 PM, whYNOT said:

<...>

whYNOT about the West, some quotes:

• dominant western news reports...
  • western propaganda...
  • western indoctrination...
  • egregiously devious… western media...
  • West's own propaganda-for-war-machine...
  • indoctrinated unreality a large part of the West lives in...
  • western media … seldom … conduct unbiased investigations...

These are not from all his comments, and not about West in general, but only about western media and only from his comments spanning about four weeks.

Possibly whYNOT's RT-worship has something to do with his animus against the West...

2 hours ago, AlexL said:

whYNOT about the West, some quotes:

• dominant western news reports...
  • western propaganda...
  • western indoctrination...
  • egregiously devious… western media...
  • West's own propaganda-for-war-machine...
  • indoctrinated unreality a large part of the West lives in...
  • western media … seldom … conduct unbiased investigations...

I would agree these are fair criticisms of western media ‘news coverage’.

It’s effective too. How else do you explain that Biden is provably the most corrupt official ‘elected’ to the President , the general expectation that the untested mRNA vaccine platform would be safe and effective , the need for maternity flight suits in the military, immediate curtailment of fossil fuels will halt climate change , rampant systemic racism necessitates violence ,ect.

7 hours ago, tadmjones said:

I would agree these are fair criticisms of western media ‘news coverage’.

It’s effective too. How else do you explain that...

1. OK, then prove that each of these 7 criticisms of the entire Western is fair, that is true;

2. "How else do you explain" this or that proves nothing.

It only shows that the person uttering this "argument" has no other explanation, not that no other explanation is possible. He still has to positively prove that his explanation is the correct one.

Moreover, this "argument" does not compel the interlocutor to come with an alternative explanation. It only shows that the utterer's is an arbitrary one.

Edited by AlexL
Commented on another claim too

16 hours ago, AlexL said:

1. OK, then prove that each of these 7 criticisms of the entire Western is fair, that is true;

2. "How else do you explain" this or that proves nothing.

It only shows that the person uttering this "argument" has no other explanation, not that no other explanation is possible. He still has to positively prove that his explanation is the correct one.

Moreover, this "argument" does not compel the interlocutor to come with an alternative explanation. It only shows that the utterer's is an arbitrary one.

I used five examples to show that 'western' , 'main stream media' or 'corporate media' uses propaganda to persuade the public at large to believe their narratives and that the proof is the ridiculous situations that are manifest in the real world. These situations could only come about if enough of the 'public at large' was fed only so much biased distorted  information.

Biden sold his influence while in office to agents of foreign governments , if not the governments themselves. The 'proof' is in Hunter Biden's personal data that became public. The Biden's have not disputed the authenticity of the data it is prima facie evidence of corruption , it literally could not be more blatant. That information was 'publicly' available prior to November 2019. And yet Biden was elected by the highest popular vote total ever, I think. How did a provably corrupt official garner such popular support? Is Biden a successful demagogue , his soaring rhetoric and personal appeal won over the majority of the voting public ? His political and legislative career was so laudable and impressive that his 'track record' made him the obvious choice even in the face of the proof of his corruption?

6 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

There are a lot of reasons why elections go the way they do.  This includes partisanship, bad ideas, and too many people voting their emotions.

Trump is terribly flawed.  I couldn't see my way clear to voting for either him or Biden, so I voted Libertarian.

Biden is provably corrupt and arguably to the extent of treason, but ok you voted L , go Dave !